PUZZLERIA! SLICES: OVER 5πe2 SERVED
Stressful Schpuzzle of the Week:
Accent the first 'si-lə-bəl or second sə-'la-bəl?
Stressing the first syllable of a heavenly body sounds like one word related to the number 1.
Stressing its second syllable sounds like two words related to the number 2.
What is this heavenly body?
Appetizer Menu
Cruciverbally Global Appetizer:
Across (Not Down), Yet Down (Under)!
Note: In our August 7th edition of Puzzleria! we treated you to a “Doubly-Sweet” Appetizer, courtesy of the creative cranium of our friend Mathew Huffman, an ingenious composer of word puzzles.
It featured a pair of mini crosswords and was titled “Great British Bakeoff.”
Mathew – who has contributed literally hundreds of puzzles to Puzzleria! over our 16-plus years... and counting – is providing us this week with a “second helping,” titled “Global Cruciverbalism.”His puzzle this time appears in the white-text-on-black-background graphic pictured here.
Enjoy!
Note: You may be able to access further crosswordese courtesy of Mathew by opening the links below:
MENU:
“Mountain Peaks & Countin’ Weeks” Hors d’Oeuvre:
“United States & CalenDates!”
Take two words found on a map of the United States, in six and seven letters.
Remove from the ends of these words three letters in an abbreviation of an organization that promotes amateur sports. The result is two words found on a calendar.
What are these “map words,” “calendar words” and amateur sports promoter?
“Apple-Bobbin’ Bucket” Slice:
“Halloween Hallucinatin’”
Name a peculiar hallucination, in two words, arising particularly from heavy drinking or use of narcotics... like what might occur, perhaps, at a wild, raucous, out-of-control Halloween party bash.
If a partygoer experiencing these hallucinations (the plural form) bobs for apples and takes a bite out of one of ‘em, does this apple then sink to the bottom of the “bobbing-for-apples bucket?”
And if so, do similarly once-bitten apples also sink bottomward? (a rhetorical question... no need to answer)
Is “just one bite of the apple” indeed all partygoers get? (another rhetorical question)
But... is this whole Halloween Party Bash perhaps just a part of some subtly insidious weight-reduction routine/procedure (which is also an anagram of the hallucination)? (a speculative question... no need to answer)
But, what might be the name of such a routine/procedure? (answer this one!)
What is the peculiar two-word hallucination?
What string of three consecutive words in the puzzle’s second paragraph is an anagram of the plural form of the hallucination?
What is this subtly insidious weight-reduction routine (which is an anagram of the hallucination)?
Hint: The plural form of the second word of the hallucination, if properly anagrammed, describes a physical feature that applies to that second word in the hallucination. (which is what an elephant has).
MENU
Riffing Off Shortz And Schwartz Slices:
“Dogs led the dogsled!”
Will Shortz’s September 6th NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle, created by Michael Schwartz of Florence, Oregon, reads:
Think of a means of transportation in seven letters. Change the fifth letter to a U and read the result backward. You’ll get a common Latin word followed by its English synonym. What words are these?
Puzzleria!’s September 6th “Riffing Off Shortz And Schwartz” Slices read:
ENTREE #1
Take a trio of five-letter words:
~ an onomatopoeic synonym of “smash,” (5 letters)
~ what church bells do, and~ a Disneyesque-Dizzying” Dance?
Anagram to get the name of a puzzle-maker.
Who is it?
What are the three words?
(Note: Entrees #2 through #7 are compositions posed by our friend Nodd, author of “Nodd ready for prime time” on Puzzleria!)
ENTREE #2Name a means of transportation in two words of six and seven letters.
Consecutive letters in the first word spell a common English word. Non-consecutive letters in the first word, in reverse order, spell the Latin equivalent of the English word.
What are these words?
ENTREE #3Name a means of transportation in nine letters.
Change the first letter to an E and the fifth letter to an R. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent.
What are these words?
ENTREE #4Think of a plural word for a means of transportation in ten letters.Change the sixth letter to an A. Rearrange to
spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent. What are these words?
Think of a nine-letter type of wagon or trailer.
Add a five-letter means of transportation.
Remove the fourth letter of the nine-letter word and change the seventh letter of that word to an A. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent. What are these words?
ENTREE #6
Name two means of transportation in five and three letters.
Change the first letter of the five-letter word to a D. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent.
What are these words?
Remove the first letter of the five-letter word.
Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent.
What are these words?
(Note: Entree #8 is a cleverly crafted composition posed by our friend Plantsmith, author of “Garden of Puzzley Delights” on Puzzleria!)
ENTREE #8Take a seven-letter Latin word that is not that obscure.
Double letter number-five.
Switch letters one and two.
Replace the new letter-number-two with the first word of a three-letter exclamation you might hear from a chef watching a rat running through her
kitchen.
The first four letters of the result, reading from left-to-right, sound like a synonym of the remaining six letters, reading from right to left (reverso).
What are this Latin word and the two synonyms.
Hint: the Latin word ends with the surname of a past DJ.
ENTREE #9
Take an eight-letter word that means having, containing, or producing “hissy sounding ‘essy’” words.
Delete the final two letters and reverse the order of the result to spell a Latin-rooted six-letter word for excuses that involve being “elsewhere” (a word that is only moderately “essy”).
Write that six-letter word in all-lowercase letters. Rotate the fourth letter 180-degrees around its x-axis.
The 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 6th letters spell body parts that are essential in pronunciation of words.
The 2nd, 5th, 6th & 4th letters spell a speech impediment in which a person misarticulates “essy sounds,” often substituting them with “th” sounds when pronouncing words.
What are this eight-letter and six-letter words?
What are the body parts and the speech impediment?
Dessert Menu
Utch-Day-Eat-Tray Dessert:
Light, Land... or “Punch an elevator button”
Describe “Rotterdam” or “Amsterdam” using and adjective-and-noun that rhyme with the verb-and-noun-combo “clutch crown.” Spoonerize this description to spell what sounds like a word related to “landing strips”or “six.”
What are this adjective-noun combo and word related to “landing strips” or “six?”
Hint: An (aptly-nicknamed) inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame inaugural class of 1951 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame inaugural class in 1963 played collegiately and professionally exclusively in a U.S. state that boasts an equally aptly-named Great Lakeshore Port that features a Big Red Lighthouse, a centuries-old windmill, and a “Tulip Time Festival” that recalls the city’s rich European roots.
Every Thursday at Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! we publish a new menu of fresh word puzzles, number puzzles, logic puzzles, puzzles of all varieties and flavors. We cater to cravers of scrumptious puzzles!
Our master chef, Grecian gourmet puzzle-creator Lego Lambda, blends and bakes up mysterious (and sometimes questionable) toppings and spices (such as alphabet soup, Mobius bacon strips, diced snake eyes, cubed radishes, “hominym” grits, anagraham crackers, rhyme thyme and sage sprinklings.)
Please post your comments below. Feel free also to post clever and subtle hints that do not give the puzzle answers away. Please wait until after 3 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesdays to post your answers and explain your hints about the puzzles. We serve up at least one fresh puzzle every Thursday.
We invite you to make it a habit to “Meet at Joe’s!” If you enjoy our weekly puzzle party, please tell your friends about Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! Thank you.
To place a comment under this QUESTIONS? subheading (immediately below), or under any of the three subheadings below it (HINTS! PUZZLE RIFFS! and MY PROGRESS SO FAR...), simply left-click on the orange "Reply" to open a dialogue box where you can make a comment. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteLego...
QUESTIONS?
ReplyDeleteAlthough I finally got an answer for the Hors D'O, I was at first confused, because I thought we were meant to remove three letters from EACH name on the US map. In the end, I decided we were supposed to remove only TWO letters from one name, and the remaining third letter from the other name. Is that correct?
DeleteI'd also like to know, re the Slice, whether you aren't asking TWICE for the same answer, i.e. the name of the insidious weight loss plan.
DeleteI THINK in Entree 9, we should be FLIPPING the fourth letter of the six-letter word over the x-axis, rather than rotating it, because when I did the latter, I got the wrong letter which completely confused me. Had to go back and re-think it.
DeleteThree great questions, ViolinTeddy!
Delete* Regarding the hor D'Oeuvre, you are correct: two letters from the first name, one letter from the second name.
* To be be frank (but, alas I'm stuck with joe!), this weeks Slice is such a jumbled hodgepodge that I'm not too sure anymore WHAT I was asking, WHERE I was going, WHO was gonna solve the darn thing, WHY anyone would even try, and WHEN I could apologize to all of you... Oh, I guess that is now! Sorry!
* As I foggily understand "3-dimensional xyz coordinates"...
a "d" rotated along the x-axis becomes a "q",
a "d" rotated along the y-axis becomes a "b",
a "d" rotated along the z-axis becomes a "p".
LegoDoingHisFlippin'DarnestToMindHisP's&Q's&B's&D's!
I was thinking myself, Lego, after I went to bed sometime after posting above, and I think that literally we need to discuss what the word "rotating" means. If one has a "small b", say, sitting right on the X-axis, then the way I pictured things iwas that rotating would mean swinging the 'b' either to the left or to the right, half a turn, by grabbing its stem and leaving that stem pointing it downward. That would result in a 'q', if you see what I mean.
DeleteWhat I had meant by 'flipping' would be to grab the 'b's upper stem and literally turning it over through space , i.e. resulting in a 'p'. BUT I can see YOUR vision of what rotating means, also, when I thought about it later....what I called flipping, you called rotating. Thus, I'm not sure how we can actually pin down which 'vision' of that verb is correct. In my version of rotating, the letter remained on top of the x-axis and spun around to become a 'q'. In your version, literally the ''b' could spin round and round the x-axis, i.e in a three-dimensional usage, so perhaps yours is more correct? I just don't know!
HINTS!
ReplyDeleteIn case it’s not clear, in Entree 2, use only the six letters of the first word of the means of transportation to form the answer; the second word doesn’t figure in the answer.
DeleteIn Entree 5, rearrange all 13 letters that will remain after the fourth letter of the nine-letter word is removed.
In Entree 6, rearrange all eight letters.
In Entree 7, rearrange all 11 letters that remain after you remove one from the five-letter word.
Thank you, Nodd, for those clarifications. My apologies.
DeleteI'll try to clear up confusion that I believe I may have sown in my "editing" of your puzzle texts.
Lego...
Any ambiguity was due to my writing rather than any editing on your part, Lego. You posted the puzzles as I wrote them. No apologies needed!
DeleteSegregated menagerie
DeleteEDIT: In E8 it's a three letter exclamation not three word.
DeleteMy apologies, Plantsmith my friend. I shall perform a repair.
DeleteLego...
I think it's still a bit messed up. It's the entire word and not the first word. In any case, if I have the right answer, the four letter word is a homophone of the synonym.
DeleteSUNDAY HINTS FOR ENTREES 2-7:
Delete2. A machine sang about the means of transportation.
3. Often transports cars as well as passengers.
4. The plural word contains a spelled-out number.
5. The nine-letter word starts with things often seen on a highway and ends with a kind of party.
6. The five-letter means of transportation is an animal. The three-letter word backwards is also a means of transportation, or a food.
7. The car name was also the name of an airplane. The five-letter means of transportation can also be a verb meaning intrude.
SUNDAY-PM-into-MONDAY-AM-HINTS
Delete"Stressful Schpuzzle of the Week:
Accent the first 'si-le-bel or second se-'la-bel?
Sure, this Schpuzzle sounds as if it is all about a heavenly bodies. But the answer is actually anything but heavenly!
The bodies involved, alas, are, rather, more "human-related..." not so angelic!
Appetizer Menu
Cruciverbally Global Appetizer:
Across (Not Down), Yet Down (Under)!
If I recall correctly, Mathew prefers that his puzzles stand on their own, sans hints.
“Mountain Peaks & Countin’ Weeks” Hors d’Oeuvre
“United States & ‘CalenDates’!”
The two words found on a map of the United States are both CAPITALIZED (and you might want to see what happens if you replace a misspelled men's midrange clothing brand in that word with an "S".
“Apple-Bobbin’ Bucket” Slice
“Halloween Hallucinatin’”
(Wow, where do I start with hints for this mess of a puzzle!?)
The hallucination begins with a "pastelly" color, but remove a letter and it becomes much less pretty!
The hallucination ends with "grayishness."
Riffing Off Shortz And Schwartz Slices:
“Dogs led the dogsled!”
ENTREE #1
Take a trio of five-letter words:
Waves _ _ _ _ _
Church bells _ _ _ _ _
A Disneyesque-Dizzying” Dance is a _ _ _ _ +_
Anagram to get the name of a puzzle-maker.
(Note: Nodd has provided hints to his fine riffs, Entrees #2-thru-#7 in his September 13, 2026 at 2:11 PM post. It appears just above this post.
(Note: Entree #8 is a cleverly crafted composition posed by our friend Plantsmith, author of “Garden of Puzzley Delights” on Puzzleria!)
ENTREE #8
Plantsmith's end-of-the-puzzle hint reads:
Hint: the Latin word ends with the surname of a past DJ
The first name of that DJ (who was a contemporary and perhaps rival of a "more Sterne" DJ), if spelled backward, s a homophone of the screen name of another prolific riff master on P!
ENTREE #9
The Latin-rooted six-letter word for excuses that involve being “elsewhere” is the first word in the nickname of a Ring Lardner character portrayed by Joe E. Brown in the silver screen (with a cameo appearance by Babe Ruth!).
Utch-Day-Eat-Tray Dessert:
Light, Land... or “Punch an elevator button”
This was one "Amster-Damn!" puzzle... My apologies!
And yet...
My Spanish Greetings (Holla!) to all our friends and lurkers in Fargo and Bismarck ND!
LegoLateHintingAsUsual
Got Entrees #1, #4, #5(not the Latin word or its English counterpart), #9, and the Dessert. Should've recalled sooner about Mathew, because now I won't solve his puzzle if that's all there is, and that's all there is to it.
DeletepjbMayActuallyHaveSolved#9AndTheDessertAfterHisFirstGlanceAtThePuzzlesOnHisPhone,ButHeDidn'tThinkAboutItAgainUntilJustNow(Sorry!)
E8. If you put a word that Bobby used last week after the Latin word -which is 7 letters- you get a famous "cartoon" character.
DeleteStill missing a lot this week. I don't even really understand what to do with the Schpuzzle or its hints. I got the hallucination and the three words that anagram to the plural in the Slice, but not the routine/procedure. Also still missing Entrees #3, #4, 5 letter word in #5, animal transportation in #6, so can't figure out the Latin / English equivalents. The whole Latin category is just too difficult for me. The funny thing is that I did solve the NPR puzzle because I found a reasonable list and now I can't find it again!
DeleteOf course, almost as soon as I posted that, I found the list again: https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/100-most-common-words-in-latin/. All of the other lists I found were either too short, too long, or just had prefixes. From the list, I corrected my #7 answer. Strangely, I had a different answer that kind of works! Will check the rest later when I'm up to it.
DeleteExcellent hint from Plantsmith in his "September 14, 2026 at 5:31 AM" Comment, above. Our (and my!) thanks to him.
DeleteLegoWhoGetsByWithALottaHelpFromHisFriends!
More hints for Entrees 2-7:
Delete2. The machine that sang about the means of transportation was HAL. Lego's images suggest the Latin and English words. They have two and three letters, respectively.
3. A lot of people in the Seattle area use the transportation. It's a compound word and usually just the first part is used. The Latin word is for a living thing and has five letters. Think of the location of a large public university in the upper U.S. that starts with a three-letter female name.
4. The spelled-out number within the means of transportation has five letters. Mostly it transports cargo. The Latin word has six letters; the English word has four.
5. You may have been told in school, inaccurately, that the wagon or trailer was used by pioneers in the U.S. westward expansion. The Latin word has five letters and was part of the name of a scandal in the Reagan and G.H.W. Bush administrations.
6. The five-letter animal means of transportation starts with a double consonant. The three-letter one is often yellow. The Latin and English words are pejorative.
7. The car name is a wild horse. The Latin word has six letters and is the name of a former king of Norway.
I surely appreciate these additional hints on #6 and 7, Nodd. Thanks to them, I was finally able to pick out your Latin words...I NEVER could have done so, particularly on #6, without them...neither of those Latin words turned up in ANY lists or attempts to Google the relevant letters.
DeleteInterestingly (or perhaps not?), I have never seen the movie 2001. So just the Hal reference wouldn't have gotten me anywhere. I can't even remember what I Googled, now, to solve #2.
I'm glad the hints were helpful, VT. I'd highly recommend watching the movie. It's quite an experience, though pretty hard to understand at the end unless you have read the book or a synopsis that explains what happens.
DeleteI now have #2 and #4-7 solved. #3 is still giving me trouble. Also, I just tried looking up the university in that one and it said it was Auburn, here in Alabama. I have my doubts about that. Hope I'm not giving it away on the off chance it's actually correct. Sorry about that.
DeletepjbIsAFanOfAlabama,NotAuburn,SoIfHeSaysTheChoiceOfAuburnAsTheUniversityBy[AI]IsWorthyOfAnAuburnAlumni,That'sNotAGoodThing!
I'm still stuck on #3 as well. I tried from several different directions (what's in the picture, compound word for Seattle transportation, university) and each led me in a different direction, but never the answer. On the bright side, I have the rest of the Entrees - thanks!
DeleteI also now have a plausible answer for the Slice. My previous answer was silly, but I saw even sillier answers appear that I won't bother you with.
Still stuck on Schpuzzle.
For Entree 3, the female name that is the first word in the name of the university city is the second word in a Beach Boys song, the title of which consists of two female names.
DeleteHa, I had the right university and town, but I went down a completely convoluted path instead. I have it now.
DeletePUZZLE RIFFS!
ReplyDeleteMY PROGRESS SO FAR...
ReplyDeleteI've noticed that this section doesn't seem to get filled in very often anymore...so I thought I'd plunk my post here, rather than after the various hints above.
DeleteThis week, I did just fine solving the Schpuzzle, Appetizer, Hors D'O, Slice, and Dessert without ANY hints. (The Dessert was inordinately easy.). LIkewise with Entrees 1 and 9.
However, I have learned not to even bother READING Nodd's Entrees (or usually PLanties, either), until the hints show up. There is simply NEVER ENOUGH INFO provided. I would humbly like to suggest (nay, PLEAD) that essential hints be provided right from the start, i.e. so that we don't have to wait three days to even give them a 'go.' It is NOT possible to solve almost ANY of Nodd's entrees, because guessing must take place from among a thousand (or at least hundreds) of possibilities. As I've said before, that is nothing but frustrating, discouraging, time-wasting, and hopeless.
Now, re his Entrees post-hints, I got lucky with #s2 through 5 and managed to 'hit' on all the Latin words, thus fully solving them. However, #6 and #7 have eluded ALL my attempts to find a Latin word for each. (And I tried everything, including an actual Latin word webpage where one can plunk in the letters one wants to use. I have three, still, possibilities for 5-letter animal transportation in #6, so wasn't even able to pin down which of the 3 choices it might be. I think I have the correct two words for # 7, though, but wasted a long time searching for a reasonable Latin word, with no success.
But did finally work out Plantie's #8, thanks to the DJ hints. Had four different possibilities for the Latin word, and so did the manipulations on all four, seeing at the end which one was correct.
VT – to me, it’s more satisfying to solve a puzzle without a hint if I can. However if the consensus here is that my puzzles are too hard, then I’m willing to provide earlier hints or just include the hint information up front. (You may remember I’ve provided Saturday or even Friday hints on request in the past.)
DeleteI’d like to know what others think. I know some people here do solve some of my puzzles without hints and I wouldn’t want to take away the satisfaction of doing so unless that’s what people want. After all, people on Blaine’s blog frequently complain the puzzles are too easy!
For me, it depends on the week. Last week, I solved quite a few of the Entrees pre-hint, but this week's Latin category is just too difficult.
DeleteActually, I don't remember. your having provided Friday or Sat hints, Nodd (other than perhaps a quick one due to a question I've asked.). But the thing is, if you were to provide them (early) upon my request, everyone else would be able to see them anyway, which would ruin their attempt to solve without hints.
DeleteOthers would not have to look at the early hints if they didn't want to. Or you could give me your email address (via Lego) and I could send hints just to you.
DeleteOh, that is a good idea, Nodd...I will do that (ask Lego to give you my email.). Thanks....
DeleteIF YOU HAVE COMMENTS THAT DO NOT PERTAIN TO ANY OF THE FOUR CATEGORIES ABOVE, YOU MAY WRITE THEM BELOW THIS POST. THANK YOU.
ReplyDeleteHappy Saturday Night from Ft. Walton Beach, FL!
ReplyDeleteSorry I couldn't get back to you guys, but we've been having trouble with the Wi-Fi here at the condo. Bryan finally got it fixed earlier this afternoon(he just had to take it off of Destin West Internet first!), and now everything works fine(though I still had to put it on Google Account before I started posting---no problem with that on Blaine's Blog, though!).
Just came from G. I. Jade's here in Ft. Walton, where we sat far away from the band playing, but we could still definitely hear them. I thought we were close to the stage, but Renae corrected me about that. Could barely hear each other, though the band did actually play "Sweet Home Alabama", so I guess that makes up for it. You also have to hold on to your napkins, or they'll blow away. It was kind of indoors, but also outdoors(no windows). Lots of TVs in the place, all tuned to sports programming(although one of them was showing "Wheel of Fortune" before the auto racing began!), and the paper napkins were sitting on a Lazy Susan, so anyone could just turn it toward them to get a napkin. Great food, I thought, because my Chicken Park Pasta was delicious, and Mom's Seafood Pizza was certainly very different, though she wasn't too crazy about it. Had shrimp and clams on it, so it was unusual, but it was delicious. I actually had three pieces of it, so I definitely loved it! She said she'd never order it again, sadly. Don't think she ever wants to come back again, to hear her tell it. They only had Diet Coke as far as diet drinks go, so I had regular Dr. Pepper. Not even Coke Zero! Bryan and Renae shared tacos, I think, and Mia Kate had some kind of burger, and Maddy had some kind of seafood. I also tried one of Bryan's pork rinds, which was also pretty good. We've also been to two other places, one in Clanton, AL called Neighborhood Grill, which was also good, and The Emerald, which was even better. I had some sort of smothered chicken at both places, and Mom couldn't believe I didn't have any seafood while we've been here, I just had chicken, but I usually prefer chicken anyway, and I didn't really feel like having any seafood though I have had it before here, and it was OK. Besides, I had three pieces of her pizza, so that counts, I would think. I know there are a lot of seafood restaurants here in FL, or places that offer seafood on the menu, but I don't have to have it if I've found something better. Mom and I have also been to the hot tub here at the condo, but she actually had trouble getting out of it, and we had to get somebody else there to help her. Nice guy from Massachusetts, actually. Who would've guessed? Civil War's been over for a long, long, long time by now.
As for this week's puzzles, I've barely had a chance to really look over them(except on my phone, which has no trouble showing anything from the Internet, but I can't post comments on it), so hopefully some time after we get home tomorrow evening I should look over everything properly, and be able to look up answers if possible. Plus, there'll be hints then as well, so maybe that'll help even more. No answers as of yet, though.
Good luck in solving to all, and please stay safe, and may we have a safe trip home tomorrow. Cranberry out!
pjbHasActuallyEatenShrimpOnAPizzaNow---WhoKnew?
Schpuzzle SOL-? CEL-?
ReplyDeleteApp:
Across: RIZZ, OBOE, DEON, EXMO
Down: RODE, IBEX, ZOOM, ZENO
Final: BREEZE
Hors d’Oeuvre: JUNEAU, AUGUSTA, JUNE, AUGUST, AAU
Slice: KEEP THIN PLAN (originally had PIE THEN PLANK, always exercise after dessert) ; PINK ELEPHANT; APPLE THEN SINK
Entrees:
1. MICHAEL SCHWARTZ; CRASH, CHIME, WALTZ
2. TANDEM BICYCLE, AND, ET
3. FERRYBOAT, ARBOR, TREE (somehow, instead of looking at arbor since I was stuck on animals, I found that the team at the University of Michigan is the Wolverines, so I tried wolf, lupus - completely convoluted instead of a straightforward answer; already tried ferryboat but the tree, arbor combination didn’t initially stick out to me in any anagram solver I tried)
4. FREIGHTERS, GRATIS, FREE
5. CONESTOGA, TRAIN, CONTRA, AGAINST
6. LLAMA, BUS, MALUS, BAD
7. MUSTANG, BARGE, MAGNUS, GREAT (originally had GAMUT, RANGES which kind of works too!)
8. OPTIMUS, PEAK, SUMMIT
9. SIBILANT, ALIBIS; LIPS, LISP
Dessert: DUTCH TOWN, TOUCHDOWN
SCHPUZZLE – URANUS (Yuck, Lego, seriously?)
ReplyDeleteAPPETIZER – ACROSS 1. RIZZ; 5. OBOE; 6. DEON; 7. EXMO; DOWN 1. RODE; 2. IBEX; 3. ZOOM; 4. ZENO; BREEZE
HORS D’OEUVRE – JUNEAU, AUGUSTA; JUNE, AUGUST; AAU
SLICE – PINK ELEPHANTS; “APPLE THEN SINK”; KEEP THIN PLAN (?)
ENTREES
1. MICHAEL SCHWARTZ; CRASH, CHIME, WALTZ
2. TANDEM BICYCLE; AND, ET
3. FERRYBOAT; ARBOR, TREE
4. FREIGHTERS; GRATIS, FREE
5. CONESTOGA, TRAIN; CONTRA, AGAINST
6. LLAMA, BUS; MALUS, BAD
7. MUSTANG, BARGE; MAGNUS, GREAT
8. OPTIMUS; PEEK, SUMMIT
9. SIBILANT, ALIBIS; LIPS, LISP
DESSERT – DUTCH TOWN, TOUCHDOWN
Hmm, maybe I should feel grateful I never figured out the Schpuzzle.
DeleteI just hope that's the answer. It would be embarrassing if Lego actually had something else in mind.
DeleteYes, I could hardly believe it either, when I read and solved the Schpuzzle right away. And as I commented alongside my answer, Uranus was a terrible choice of name for a planet.
DeleteSchpuzzle
ReplyDeleteI hate to be the one to say this, but after looking over the Schpuzzle one more time, I'm afraid Lego may very well have had URANUS in mind for this one. Not sure about the "number 1" connection, but I totally get "number 2"(and I'm embarrassed to admit it, too!).
No hints for the Appetizer, so no answer(s)for the Appetizer.
Menu
"Mountain Peaks & Countin' Weeks" Hors d'Oeuvre
JUNEAU(AK), AUGUSTA(ME or GA), JUNE, AUGUST, AAU(Amateur Athletic Union)
"Apple-Bobbin' Bucket" Slice
PINK ELEPHANTS, "APPLE THEN SINK", KEEP THIN PLAN
Entrees
1. CRASH+CHIME+WALTZ=MICHAEL SCHWARTZ
2. TANDEM BICYCLE, AND, ET
3. FERRYBOAT, TREE, ARBOR
4. FREIGHTERS, FREE, GRATIS
5. CONESTOGA TRAIN, AGAINST, CONTRA
6. LLAMA, BUS, BAD, MALUS
7. MUSTANG, BARGE, GREAT, MAGNUS
8. OPTIMUS, PEEK(PEAK), SUMMIT
9. SIBILANT, ALIBIS, LIPS, LISP
Utch-Day-Eat-Tray Dessert
DUTCH TOWN, TOUCHDOWN
"Nation's Dumbest" Final Results:
Chase Hudson, the influencer who is one of two people on the show that I'd never heard of, whose father was actually quick to point out that host Jack Whitehall had actually misread the question he asked at that moment on the episode featuring family members of the cast, is now officially the Nation's Dumbest. He also has no idea what a Zamboni is, we've learned this evening. Hilaria Baldwin is not the Nation's Dumbest, but she came awfully close. BTW Both the Private Eye Crossword and this past week's Guardian Prize Crossword included the answer DROGHEDA, which is a town in Ireland. This town is also a port, which explains why both cryptic clues did a play on the word "port" suggesting port as in wine, not as in a geographic location. If I'd remembered to mention it in my first post some time Saturday evening, I would have mentioned it then. Sorry I was late with this information. I was just glad I got my Wi-Fi back working again at the condo. See y'all tomorrow night, as we do this all over again! Bye from Jasper!-pjb
I could just scream with frustration. I remmebered it was Wednesday while still upstairs in bed this morning, then completely FORGOT this afternoon and evening, until just now. Sigh...
ReplyDeleteSCHPUZZLE: URANUS [I think this was an awful choice for a planet name.]
APPETIZER: RIZZ, OBOE, DEON, EXMO; RODE, IBEX, ZOOM, ZENO => BREEZE. [NO hint needed]
HORS D’O: JUNEAU (Alaska) => Remove “AU", from AAU] => JUNE; AUGUSTA (Maine) => Remove remaining“A” => AUGUST
SLICE: PINK ELEPHANTS => "APPLE THEN SINK”; Weight loss: THINK PEE PLAN [The in-puzzle hint: ASHEN PELT]
ENTREES:
1. CRASH, CHIME, WALTZ => MICHAEL SCHWARTZ
2. TANDEM BICYCLE => AND, ET [ “Et" also being FRENCH for “and"]
3. FERRYBOAT => EERRRBOAT => ARBOR, TREE
4. FREIGHTERS => FREIGATERS => GRATIS, FREE
5. CONESTOGA TRAIN => CONSTAGA TRAIN => CONTRA, AGAINST
6. LLAMA & BUS => DLAMA BUS => MALUS, BAD
7. MUSTANG BARGE => MUSTANG ARGE => MAGNUS, GREAT
8. OPTIMUS => PEEK/TIMMUS => PEAK & SUMMIT
9. SIBILANT => SIBILA => ALIBIS; alibis => alibis => LIPS; LISP
DESSERT: DUTCH TOWN => TOUCH DOWN
The squared (not circled) letters in the Appetizer can be arranged to spell NO MIXED ZOO, which, in my addled brain spells "segregated menagerie".
ReplyDeleteThis week's official answers for the record, Part 1:
ReplyDelete"Stressful Schpuzzle of the Week:
Accent the first 'si-le-b?l or second se-'la-bel?
Stressing the first syllable of a heavenly body sounds like one word related to the number 1. Stressing its second syllable sounds like two words related to the number 2. What is this heavenly body?
Answer:
Uranus;
("Uranus" ('yuer-e-nes OR yue-'ra-nes) can be pronounced as "urinous" ('yuer-?-nes) or as "your anus" ('yu?r & 'a-n?s )
NOTE: Most of the "e's" in the above pronunciations are actually schwas:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Uranus
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/urinous
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/your
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anus
Lego...
This week's official answers for the record, Part 2:
ReplyDeleteAppetizer Menu
Cruciverbally Global Appetizer:
Across (Not Down), Yet Down (Under)!
ACROSS ANSWERS
1. Charming, in Internet slang RIZZ
5. Instrumental to cruciverbalists? OBOE
6. Comedian Cole DEON
7. Formerly LDS? EXMO (EX MOrmon)
DOWN ANSWERS
1. Aussie brand that can be used to record 5A: RIZZ
2. Not the GOAT, but a goat IBEX
3. Pandemic app with fast adoption ZOOM
4. ____'s paradoxes, implying this puzzle can never be solved ZENO
THIS PUZZLE'S DIFFICULTY, PER 5A?
BREEZE
Lego...
This week's official answers for the record, Part 3:
ReplyDeleteMENU:
“Mountain Peaks & Countin’ Weeks” Hors d’Oeuvre
“United States & ‘CalenDates’!”
Take two words found on a map of the United States, in six and seven letters. Remove from the ends of these words three letters in an abbreviation of an organization that promotes amateur sports. The result is two words found on a calendar.
What are these “map words,” “calendar words” and amateur sports promoter?
Answer:
Augusta, Juneau; August, June; The Amateur Athletic Union (AAU);
“Apple-Bobbin’ Bucket” Slice
“Halloween Hallucinatin’”
Name a peculiar hallucination, in two words, arising particularly from heavy drinking or use of narcotics... like what might occur, perhaps, at a wild, raucous, out-of-control Halloween party bash.
If a partygoer experiencing these hallucinations (the plural form) bobs for apples and takes a bite out of one of ‘em, does this apple then sink to the bottom of the “bobbing-for-apples bucket?” (a rhetorical question... no need to answer)
(NOTE: The plural form of the hallucination [just add an “s”] is an anagram of three consecutive words in the previous sentence.)
And if so, do similarly once-bitten apples also sink bottomward? (another rhetorical question... no need to answer)
What three consecutive words in the
Is “just one bite of the apple” indeed all partygoers get? (a third rhetorical question)
But... is this whole Halloween Party Bash perhaps just a part of some subtly insidious weight-reduction routine/procedure (which is also an anagram of the hallucination)? (a speculative question... no need to answer)
But, what might be the name of such a routine/procedure? (answer this one!)
What is the peculiar two-word hallucination?
What string of three consecutive words in the puzzle’s second paragraph is an anagram of the plural form of the hallucination? PINK ELEPHANTS = APPLE THEN SINK
What is this subtly insidious weight-reduction routine (which is also an anagram of the hallucination)? (KEEP-THIN PLAN = PINK ELEPHANT
Hint:
The plural form of the second word of the hallucination, if properly anagrammed, describes a physical feature that applies to that second word in the hallucination. (which is what an elephant has).
Answers:
PINK ELEPHANT;
APPLE THEN SINK (an anagram of PINK ELEPHANTS)
KEEP-THIN PLAN (an anagram of PINK ELEPHANT)
Hint:
The plural form of the second word of the hallucination ELEPHANT(S), if properly anagrammed, describes a physical feature that applies to that second word in the hallucination. ASHEN PELT (which is what an elephant has).
Lego...
This week's official answers for the record, Part 4:
Riffing Off Shortz And Schwartz Slices:
“Dogs led the dogsled!”
Will Shortz’s September 6th NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle, created by Michael Schwartz of Florence, Oregon, reads:
Think of a means of transportation in seven letters. Change the fifth letter to a U and read the result backward. You’ll get a common Latin word followed by its English synonym. What words are these?
ENTREE #1
Take a trio of five-letter words:
~ an onomatopoeic synonym of “smash,” (5 letters)
~ what church bells do, and
~ a (a Disneyesque-Dizzying” Dance?
Anagram to get the name of a puzzle-maker.
Who is it?
What are the three words?
Answer:
Michael Schwartz; Crash, Chime, Waltz;
Lego...
This week's official answers for the record, Part 5:
ReplyDelete(Note: Entrees #2 through #7 are compositions posed by our friend Nodd, author of “Nodd ready for prime time” on Puzzleria!)
ENTREE #2
Name a means of transportation in two words of six and seven letters. Consecutive letters in the first word spell a common English word. Non-consecutive letters in the first word, in reverse order, spell the Latin equivalent of the English word. What are these words?
ANSWER:
TANDEM BICYCLE; AND, ET
ENTREE #3
Name a means of transportation in nine letters. Change the first letter to an E and the fifth letter to an R. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent. What are these words?
ANSWER:
FERRYBOAT; ARBOR, TREE
ENTREE #4
Think of a plural word for a means of transportation in ten letters. Change the sixth letter to an A. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent. What are these words?
ANSWER:
FREIGHTERS; GRATIS, FREE
ENTREE #5
Think of a nine-letter type of wagon or trailer. Add a five-letter means of transportation. Remove the fourth letter of the nine-letter word and change the seventh letter of that word to an A. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent. What are these words?
ANSWER:
CONESTOGA, TRAIN; CONTRA, AGAINST
ENTREE #6
Name two means of transportation in five and three letters. Change the first letter of the five-letter word to a D. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent. What are these words?
ANSWER:
LLAMA, BUS; MALUS, BAD
ENTREE #7
Name an iconic U.S. car model in seven letters and a common means of transportation in five letters. Remove the first letter of the five-letter word. Rearrange to spell a common Latin word and its English equivalent. What are these words?
ANSWER:
MUSTANG, BARGE; MAGNUS, GREAT
Lego...
This week's official answers for the record, Part 6:
ReplyDelete(Note: Entree #8 is a cleverly crafted composition posed by our friend Plantsmith, author of “Garden of Puzzley Delights” on Puzzleria!)
ENTREE #8
Take a seven-letter Latin word that is not that obscure OPTIMUS. Double letter number-five OPTIMMUS. Switch letters one and two.
Replace the new letter-number-two with the first word of a three-word exclamation you might hear from a chef watching a rat running through his kitchen.
The first four letters of the result, reading from left-to-right, sound like a synonym of the remaining six letters, reading from right to left (reverso).
What are this Latin word and the two synonyms.
Hint: the Latin word ends with the surname of a past DJ. (Don Imus)
Answer:
Optimus; Peak, Summit
OPTIMUS=>OPTIMMUS=>POTIMMUS=>P+"EEK (A MOUSE!)" TIMMUS=> PEAK, SUMMIT
ENTREE #9
Take an eight-letter word that means having, containing, or producing “hissy sounding ‘essy’” words.
Delete the final two letters and reverse the order of the result to spell a Latin-rooted six-letter word for excuses that involve being “elsewhere” (a word that is only moderately “essy”).
Write that six-letter word in all-lowercase letters. Rotate the fourth letter 180-degrees around its x-axis.
The 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 6th letters spell body parts that are essential in pronunciation of words.
The 2nd, 5th, 6th & 4th letters spell a speech impediment in which a person misarticulates “essy sounds,” often substituting them with “th” sounds when pronouncing words.
What are this eight-letter and six-letter words?
What are the body parts and the speech impediment?
Answer:
Sibilant, Alibis; Lips, Lisp;
SIBILANT=>ALIBIS; ALIBIS=>alibis=>alipis=>lips&lisp
Lego...
Who in the world is Don Imus? The only D.J. that comes to mind is Bad Bunny? Perhaps.
DeleteMy clue was pointing to Bobby's use of the word Prime last week and hence, Optimus prime. A cartoon character? My older son used to collect the transformers and I guess some of these are worth a bunch.
This week's official answers for the record, Part 7:
ReplyDeleteDessert Menu
Utch-Day-Eat-Tray Dessert:
Light, Land... or “Punch an elevator button”
Describe “Rotterdam” or “Amsterdam” using and adjective-and-noun that rhyme with
the verb-and-noun-combo “clutch crown.” Spoonerize this description to spell what sounds like a word related to “landing strips” or “six.”
What are this adjective-noun combo and word related to “landing strips” or “six?”
Hint:
An (aptly-nicknamed) inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame inaugural class of 1951 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame inaugural class in 1963 played collegiately and professionally exclusively in a U.S. state that boasts an equally aptly-named Great Lakeshore Port that features a Big Red Lighthouse, a centuries-old windmill, and a “Tulip Time Festival” that recalls the city’s rich European roots.
Answer:
Dutch Town, Touchdown (as aircraft do on airport landing strips; a touchdown in football is worth six points);
Hint:
Earl Harry “Dutch” Clark (October 11, 1906 – August 5, 1978), sometimes also known as “the Flying Dutchman,” was an American football player and coach, basketball player and coach, and university athletic director. He gained his greatest acclaim, however, as a football player.
Michigan is the state that boasts the aptly-named Great Lakeshore Port (Holland, Michigan) that features a Big Red Lighthouse, a centuries-old windmill, and a “Tulip Time Festival” that recalls the city’s rich European roots.
Lego!!!