Friday, June 17, 2016

Peak-a-Boom! The honeydew of victory, the bee-sting of defeat; Measure for measure, chit for chat; Wolves shooting off their traps; Parable of the prodigal pupil; Winnie the pooh-pooher; Little emerald men from the crimson planet? Vinyl B-siding and LP gas

P! SLICES: OVER e6 + pi4 SERVED

Welcome to our June 17th edition of Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! 

We feature this week a wonderfully wordplayful United States of America geographical challenge created by Mark Scott of Seattle, also known on the internet as skydiveboy. 

It is titled “Broketop Mountain Slice: Peak-a-Boom!

You can find it beneath this week’s main MENU
Thank you, Mark.

Also on this week’s menus are:
3 “Riffing/Ripping Off Shortz” puzzles involving 1.) chit-chat, 2.) misspelling, and 3.) a caterpillar named Trumper,
1 Morsel involving people of color,
1 Morsel that proves you cango home again,”
1 Appetizer involving duck-calling and wolf-whistling, and
1 Dessert involving groovy vinyl.

We’ll serve them all up for you on a platinum platter. Sit back and enjoy our high-fidelity food for thought:

Hors d’Oeuvre Menu

Ripping Off Shortz And Chaikin Hors d’Oeuvre:
Measure for measure, chit for chat
 
Will Shortz’s June 12th NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle, created by Andrew Chaikin of San Francisco, reads:
Take the word “baci” (Italian for “kisses”). You can rearrange the letters to “I C A B” – which sounds like a sentence, “I see a bee.”
Now think of a unit of measurement. Rearrange its letters and read them out loud to form a sentence complimenting someone on their appearance.
What is the word, and what is the sentence?

Puzzleria!’s “Ripping Off Shortz Hors d’Oeuvre” reads:
Place two units of measurement next to each other, in their plural forms (plural forms, according to Merriam Webster and Wikipedia), forming a string of seven letters. Interchange the second and third letters.

Read these seven letters aloud to form a four-word sentence that a defeated and bitter game show contestant might say to the game show emcee as the credits roll over the post-game chit-chat. The sentence is not one complimenting the emcee on his dapper appearance, however, but rather one denouncing the host’s character. And – adding insult to injury – the loser even slightly mispronounces the emcee’s name.

What are the two units of measurement and the four-word sentence? Who is the game show’s emcee?

Hint: This puzzle has something in common with one of last week’s Puzzleria! puzzles.

Morsel Menu

People Radiating Iris’ Spectra Morsel:
Little emerald men from the crimson planet?

Take a word that can mean a person of a certain color, but only figuratively. Interchange the final two letters, one of which is a vowel. Replace that vowel with a different vowel to form a word that can mean a person of a certain color, but only figuratively.
 
What are these two words?

Hint: One of the words is less than a century old.



Back To School Morsel:
Parable of the prodigal pupil

Name a word associated with a high school or collegiate homecoming. Take its last two letters and replace the second letter with them. 

Replace the third letter of this result with the letter following it in the alphabet to form another word associated with a high school or collegiate homecoming.

What are these two words?

Appetizer Menu

Riffing Off Shortz Appetizer:
The honeydew of victory, the bee-sting of defeat

Little Lego, a contestant in the final round of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, is given a word to spell.


“May I have the definition?” he asks.

“It is an article of clothing…” pronouncer Jacques Bailly replies.


“Air there any alternative pronunciations?” Lego continues.
Are there any?” Mr. Bailly repeats, noting that this contestant seems to have a bit of an issue pronouncing his R’s. “No, Lego, that is the only pronunciation I have.”

Lego takes a deep breath and begins spelling out the letters confidently without any pausing or halting. After pronouncing the final letter, a consonant, his heart sinks as he hears the dreaded “ding!” indicating he made an orthographic error. As Mr. Bailly spells the word aloud correctly, Lego realizes he substituted a wrong vowel for the correct one.

Curiously, however, as Little Lego was misspelling the word aloud, many members of the audience had mistakenly thought he was pronouncing not a series of individual letters but rather a polysyllabic word, an adjective that is defined as “of or relating to…”

The final word in that definition is the plural form of a noun that is spelled the same as the spelled-out version of a letter of the alphabet that had not been a part of Lego’s misspelling.

What is the article of clothing (correctly spelled!)? What is the adjective that audience members thought they heard Lego pronounce? What is the noun to which that adjective pertains?

 Duck Duck Go Blind Appetizer
Wolves shooting off their traps

“That ___ is ________.”

The two words that belong in those blanks begin with letters two places apart in the alphabet.
The first is a three-letter noun with multiple meanings; the second is an eight-letter word ending in “…ing.”

The statement above might be mouthed by duck-whistle-and-shotgun-packing hunters of pheasants, ducks or other small game – if you are using the most common definition of the noun, and using the second word as a participle functioning as a part of the continuous form of the verb.
 
During their day jobs as stereotypical construction workers, those same hunters might be moved to mouth the same four-word statement – if you are using the second word as a participle functioning as an adjective, and using a less-common meaning of the noun that is very demeaning and quite politically incorrect. The hunters’ statement in this instance would be oxymoronic (and moronic!) and their tone would be sarcastic and/or ironic…
And the construction workers might well accompany their words with a shrill sarcastic wolf whistle.

What is this statement?

MENU

Mark’s Broketop Mountain Slice:
Peak-a-Boom!

What is the word some Native American Indians might use to refer to the Appalachian Mountains that have been destroyed by mountaintop mining?



Ripping Off Shortz Slice:
Winnie the pooh-pooher

Winnie the Grand “Pooh-bahr” – who seems to be always paying compliments to Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, Kanga and Roo – tends to pay his disrespects to non-Milne cartoon characters: to rabbits like Thumper, for example, but especially to caterpillars like Trumper.

Think of a word for something sleazy, squalid, unsavory or disgusting. Rearrange its four letters and read them aloud to form a three-word sentence that Winnie might say to Trumper, not complimenting his appearance but denouncing him for being sleazy, squalid, unsavory or disgusting.

What is the word, and what is the sentence?

Dessert Menu

Long Playing Dessert:
Vinyl B-siding and LP gas

Take a two-word term sometimes used for a usually lesser-known song on a long-playing vinyl record album. The term is often reserved for a song that is the equivalent of the “B-side” of a 78-rpm or 45-rpm record – a song that usually only the most fanatical of the album singer’s fans would cherish, or perhaps even recognize. Such songs, rarely if ever played on the radio, are usually “buried” in a position later on in the LP album’s running time.

An artist who rock‘n’rolled along within that “tidal wave” of late-1960’s-1970’s singer-songwriters wrote a song that opened Side 2 of his/her second studio album. The title of the song is a six-word statement that completely contradicts the informal, rambling definition – given above – of the two-word term.

The song did not become a hit single for the artist who wrote it, but was subsequently a hit single for other singers who covered it.

What is the two-word term? What is the song title? 


Every Friday at Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! we publish a new menu of fresh word puzzles, number puzzles, logic puzzles, puzzles of all varieties and flavors. We cater to cravers of scrumptious puzzles!


Our master chef, Grecian gourmet puzzle-creator Lego Lambda, blends and bakes up mysterious (and sometimes questionable) toppings and spices (such as alphabet soup, Mobius bacon strips, diced snake eyes, cubed radishes, “hominym” grits, anagraham crackers, rhyme thyme and sage sprinklings.)


Please post your comments below. Feel free also to post clever and subtle hints that do not give the puzzle answers away. Please wait until after 3 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesdays to post your answers and explain your hints about the puzzles. We serve up at least one fresh puzzle every Friday.


We invite you to make it a habit to “Meet at Joe’s!” If you enjoy our weekly puzzle party, please tell your friends about Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! Thank you.

71 comments:

  1. The geography puzzle is fun.

    Happy Summer Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Word Woman. I appreciate your comment very much and agree... it is indeed a fun puzzle.

      LegoAppreciative

      Delete
    2. Of course, they are all fun head-scratchers, Lego. . .

      ViolinTeddy and y'all, is it coolish where you are? 90's here and 97 degrees expected Sunday in CO.

      Delete
    3. We are lucky here (at the moment), WW....it's only 64 degrees in my house and I have NO air conditioning....however, we DID have nasty high heat a week or more ago for three days, and I dread what will probably be coming all too soon. Give me the cool and rain ANY day over that horrid baking heat.

      Delete
    4. I think my answer to the 'geography' puzzle must be too easy; and I don't see anything 'fun' about it.

      Delete
  2. Good June Friday afternoon to you, WW, as well, and to all.

    Amazingly (to myself, that is), I finally cracked the Hors D'Oeuvre, after a lot of 'manipulation.' Figuring out the host FIRST thing is the only way, in my humble opinion....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, by now, I have answers for the Duck Appetizer, the Winnie the Pooh Slice, and the Dessert, but I'm not utterly confident about any of them!

    I'm stuck on both morsels (which are particularly frustrating), the Spelling Bee Appetizer, and AS ALWAYS, Mark's puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The easiest one is apparently the last puzzle. I've actually used the same wordplay with that song in a cryptic crossword! I hope it wouldn't be giving too much away by saying the three singers who have recorded it(two covering it)all have the same number of letters in their names. Will need hints for the rest, Lego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the singers has a connection to the Hors D'Oeuvre.

      Delete
    2. And it's not Eric Clapton.

      Delete
    3. The idea of "connecting rods" reminded me of the Indian game Leela, precursor of "Snakes and Arrows", aka "Chutes and Ladders".
      Naturally, then, I thought about Eric Clapton's signature song.
      "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" has the right number of words, and Eric Burdon the right number of letters, but that's all just maya. "Sometimes I play the fool."

      I think I'm a Native American European; Deepak Chopra is a Native Indian American, and his son Gotham is a Native American Indian. Or something.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Once again, my answer seems too easy (and inelegant). I hope Abe's home town doesn't figure into every such puzzle.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. "I am not! That's the water bucket leaking. You try to blame everything on me!"

      Delete
    2. A joke my grandfather used to tell:

      An old one-room schoolhouse. No water fountain out in the hall because no running water (and no hall because ...). There's a water bucket in the corner of the room with a dipper in it.
      The teacher is calling on students to spell words:
      - Sally, pinafore.
      - P-I-N-A-F-O-R-E
      - Very good, Sally. Jimmy, smock.
      - S-M-O-C-K
      - Very good, Jimmy.
      The teacher notices Johnny gazing out the window, and quickly scans her list for the hardest word she can find.
      - Johnny, European

      I already told you the punch line.

      Delete
    3. Hmmm, Paul, I think that's what happens with too many trips to the punch line. . .

      Delete
  7. The homecoming puzzle finally fell into place for me.
    The hunter puzzle was a real son of a gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alumnus / Autumn (fall(fell))
      Dog / Fetching (son of a bee)

      Delete
  8. Concerning the spelling puzzle: No comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have said "regarding."
      I could have said "in the matter of."
      I could have said "a drop of golden sun."
      I chose to say "concerning."

      Delete
  9. Any more hints forthcoming, Lego?

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW I'll decide for myself whether the geography puzzle is "fun" or not(particularly if I can solve the damn thing).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sadly, I must renege on my statement above that I had solved the Dessert. (I am embarrassed to say that I didn't count to SIX....my song had only five words!) And I have NOT been able to research out a proper answer. I don't think my two-word term for the B-side songs is even correct. Sob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So in other words, VT, when it comes to being not so lucky you're cursed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there must be a pun or joke in there somehow, pjb, but I'm failing to grasp it. Could you please explain for us joke-dumbies?

      Delete
    2. It would probably give it away for you, but in fact I was paraphrasing the song's lyrics. See you guys in Ft. Walton tomorrow!

      Delete
    3. I finally came up with a SIX-word title (I counted doubly to make sure, geeeez), which SEEMS like it fits the bill (although I'm not exactly sure how the lyrics are a paraphrase of what you wrote.) But it's good enough for me!

      Delete
  13. Lego, did you get that crazy hail today in MN?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word Woman,
      Hail, no. Twisters though. And up near Canada, just off the Gunflint Trail, a wind-blown tree crashed onto a father and his son who were camping. The father, who is a brother of one of our state reps, died. The son is in critical condition.

      LegoPraysAllStaySafeOutThere

      Delete
    2. Sorry to hear about the loss of life and injuries, Lego. They will be in my thoughts.

      Delete
  14. Hints:

    PRISM:
    Regarding the two words that can mean a person of a certain color… It is the same color.

    BTSM:
    One of the two words associated with homecoming is a noun ending in S whose plural form doesn’t end in S.

    ROSA:
    You are correct to suspect that there was an R in the word Little Lego misspelled… and, of course, you are also correct to suspect that he mispronounced that R.
    The “noun that is spelled the same as the spelled-out version of a letter of the alphabet that had not been a part of Lego’s misspelling” is spelled out in the text of the puzzle.

    MBMS:
    I will defer to skydiveboy when it comes to dispensing hints to his puzzle. As for my puzzles, I’m more than happy to dicuss ‘em. I know little about American Indians or Appalachian Mountains, however.

    Lego”SomewhereInTheMi(d)stOfTheRainbow,(NotBlue)BirdsFly…”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee, I think I finally finally figured out your Spelling Bee puzzle. : o )

      The hint was a little bit of help, but for some reason, this time when I looked at the text of the whole puzzle, the correct answer words just materialized in ye olde brain.

      I had already gotten the Back to School answer a couple of days ago, but the Little Green Men and SDB's still elude. [I'm sure the answer I came up with for Mark's is WRONG.]

      Delete
    2. VT,
      I hope you are wrong about being wrong. Is that rong? Anyway if your answer is not somewhat humorous, then it is rong, but I still am looking forward to hearing what it is. If it is any help, the way I came up with this puzzle, sometime ago, is simply sitting in my living room and thinking I should make up a puzzle. I then thought I needed a topic. For some unknown reason Mountain top mining came to mind and I then made it up from there rather quickly. No research needed. You should be able to do the same. Good luck. Oh, and I (seriously now) do believe in luck.

      Delete
    3. ViolinTeddy,

      The origin of one of the words that can mean a person of a certain color, figuratively speaking, can be attributed to a guy named Will who is not a puzzlemaster but rather a playmaster.

      Iagolambda

      Delete
    4. Thanks to both of you guys, for your personalized hints!

      I do suspect that I know what the 'color'/quality IS for the "Emerald" morsel; I just simply can't make any synonym/adjective work out, per the directions of the puzzle. Clearly, I am missing something obvious!

      SDB, I would have never found the answer that I DO have without research, so it MUST mean it's wrong. But thanks for trying to help!

      Delete
  15. Greetings from Ft. Walton Beach, FL! Sadly, the hints aren't helping, but then I've been a little busy with the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. A private and a gentleman and a scholar ... and a chief.

      Delete
    2. A Crow Magnum Man, to be sure, Paul.

      LegoSaysRemoveTheFirstLetterAndTheLastLetterFromBacheitcheToNameTwoTargetsOfProductsInATarget(NowCVS)Pharmacy

      Delete
  17. Take that, Mr. Shortz!

    LegoWhoIsUpAPingPongCreekWithoutAPaddle

    ReplyDelete
  18. MBMS:
    Some Native American Indians might refer to those Appalachian Mountains destroyed by mountaintop removal as the MOHAWKS! which destroy the tops of human heads...

    Some Native American Indians might also refer to the Appalachian Mountains as “the skullcaps” or, not the American ALPS, but “the SCALPS.” See THIS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard some years ago that Indians learned scalping from The White Man, but I had no documentation to back it up.

      Delete
  19. So, sdb, you made up that puzzle "just off the top of your head," did you? Quite a coup. A real feather in your cap. Josiah Wilbarger described the experience as "surprisingly painless" although creating the sensation of a peal of thunder. I found no evidence of him ever describing it as "a barrel of laughs." I find the topic appalling, and I'm still hoping I'm wrong.
    On the other hand, maybe time heals all wounds. I'm enjoying this now, but I remember it scaring the poop out of me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your Modest link to Eine Nacht auf dem kahlen Berge.

      Delete
  20. Having just been to our splendid, local iris farm, I thought the geography puzzle answer was Coal Seams Iris which sounds close to Coal Seams Iroquois (though I thought it was spelled Iriquois).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . .Meaning a black eye on the landscape (in case that wasn't clear). . .

      Delete
    2. Thanks for removing the cataract, but it is still not the intended answer.

      Delete
  21. I will wait for ViolinTeddy to post her answer in case she may have solved my puzzle. So far no one has the intended answer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was very gracious of you, sdb, to wait for my (sorry, I'm delayed) posting of the week's answers, such as the are. I can't WAIT to hear what the REAL answer to your puzzle is. I contemplated Indian CHIEFS (Geronimo?) but rejected the idea. Here we are:

    HORS D'OEUVRE: "LUX" & "RODS"; "LX, U R ODS"; [ALEX TREBEK]

    Little Emerald Men MORSEL: GREEN-EYED (Shakespeare) i.e. JEALOUS or ENVIOUS... BUT I can't make a second word out of either of these, per the directions.

    Back to School MORSEL: ALUMNUS & AUTUMN

    SPELLING BEE APPETIZER: "APRON" APN -> "APIAN", refers to "BEES"

    DUCK APPETIZER: That HEN is BROODING

    MARK'S MOUNTAINTOP SLICE: "MAZA BLASKA" meaning "flat iron" [sounds like BLAST?]

    WINNIE THE POOH SLICE: CRUD; "U R C D" *You are seedy."

    DESSERT: "FLIPSIDE RACKET"? "WHEN YOU'RE ON THE LOSING END" (Neil Young)

    ReplyDelete
  23. And now, from the condo in Ft. Walton Beach, FL, here are the answers I have:
    LUX and RODS=LX U R ODS(Alex, you are odious!)(Trebek of Jeopardy, of course)
    That DOG is FETCHING!
    CRUD(or CURD), U R CD(You are seedy!)
    DEEP CUT, "THE FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST", by Cat Stevens, made famous by Rod Stewart AND Sheryl Crow
    The beach is beautiful, the hot tubs are great, and I certainly must recommend the Lazy River!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The answer to my mountain top mining puzzle is SEMI-KNOLLS.


    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knoll Origin and Etymology of knoll

    Middle English knol, from Old English cnoll; akin to Old Norse knollr mountaintop


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rejected the Seminole people early as they lived in Florida and Oklahoma, no where near the Appalachians, whereas the Mohawk nation were located in and around New York, much closer to the Appalachians.

      Delete
    2. Ditto, ron.

      And the Mohawk are the most easterly tribe of the Iroquois (mentioned above). Both make more sense with the Appalachian reference.

      Delete
    3. The location of the mountains and the location of the Seminole Indians has nothing at all to do with the puzzle.

      Delete
    4. The fact that the Mohawk and the Iroquois might have lived in Appalachia is certainly a seminal idea...

      Delete
    5. ron,

      I have to agree. Last Thursday, June 16, I sent this to Lego in private email. (Please keep it private and don't tell anyone.)

      "But, hey, I really am looking forward to tomorrow and your using my puzzle. I am certain it will be a Seminal event."

      Delete
    6. Which proves that your several 'great minds think alike." !!!!

      Delete
  25. This week’s official answers, for the record, Part 1:

    Hors d’Oeuvre Menu

    Ripping Off Shortz And Chaikin Hors d’Oeuvre:
    Measure for measure, chit for chat
    Place two units of measurement next to each other, in their plural forms (plural forms, according to Merriam Webster and Wikipedia), forming a string of seven letters. Interchange the second and third letters.
    Read these seven letters aloud to form a four-word sentence that a defeated and bitter game show contestant might say to the game show emcee as the credits roll over the post-game chit-chat. The sentence is not one complimenting the emcee on his dapper appearance, however, but rather one denouncing the host’s character. And – adding insult to injury – the loser even slightly mispronounces the emcee’s name.
    What are the two units of measurement and the four-word sentence? Who is the game show’s emcee?
    Hint: This puzzle has something in common with one of last week’s Puzzleria! puzzles.

    Answer: Lux, rods;
    “Alex, you are odious!”
    Alex Trebek, emcee of Jeopardy!
    LUX RODS >> LXURODS >> Alex, you are odious!
    Hint: Last week’s Puzzleria! featured a puzzle involving Jeopardy! and Joe Paterno.


    Morsel Menu

    People Radiating Iris’ Spectra Morsel:
    Little emerald men from the crimson planet?
    Take a word that can mean a person of a certain color, but only figuratively. Interchange the final two letters, one of which is a vowel. Replace that vowel with a different vowel to form a word that can mean a person of a certain color, but only figuratively.
    What are these two words?
    Hint: One of the words is less than a century old.

    Answer:
    Envier and Enviro; or Enviro and Envier
    An envier is “green with envy.”
    An enviro promotes a “green” ecolocy.



    Back To School Morsel:
    Parable of the prodigal pupil
    Name a word associated with a high school or collegiate homecoming. Take its last two letters and replace the second letter with them.
    Replace the third letter of this result with the letter following it in the alphabet to form another word associated with a high school or collegiate homecoming.
    What are these two words?

    Answer: Alumnus; Autumn
    Alumnus >> Ausumn >> Autumn

    Lego…

    ReplyDelete
  26. This week’s official answers, for the record, Part 2:

    Appetizer Menu

    Riffing Off Shortz Appetizer:
    The honeydew of victory, the bee-sting of defeat
    Little Lego, a contestant in the final round of the Scripps National Spelling Bee, is given a word to spell.
    “May I have the definition?” he asks.
    “It is an article of clothing…” pronouncer Jacques Bailly replies.
    “Air there any alternative pronunciations?” Lego continues.
    “Are there any?” Mr. Bailly repeats, noting that this contestant seems to have a bit of an issue pronouncing his R’s. “No, Lego, that is the only pronunciation I have.”
    Lego takes a deep breath and begins spelling out the letters confidently without any pausing or halting. After pronouncing the final letter, a consonant, his heart sinks as he hears the dreaded “ding!” indicating he made an orthographic error. As Mr. Bailly spells the word aloud correctly, Lego realizes he substituted a wrong vowel for the correct one.
    Curiously, however, as Little Lego was misspelling the word aloud, many members of the audience had mistakenly thought he was pronouncing not a series of individual letters but rather a polysyllabic word, an adjective that is defined as “of or relating to…”
    The final word in that definition is the plural form of a noun that is spelled the same as the spelled-out version of a letter of the alphabet that had not been a part of Lego’s misspelling.
    What is the article of clothing (correctly spelled!)? What is the adjective that audience members thought they heard Lego pronounce? What is the noun to which that adjective pertains?

    Answer: Apron; Apiarian; Bee
    (Lego spelled: A-P-R-E-N >> A-P-Air-E-N

    Duck Duck Go Blind Appetizer
    Wolves shooting off their traps
    “That ___ is ________.”
    The two words that belong in those blanks begin with letters two places apart in the alphabet.
    The first is a three-letter noun with multiple meanings; the second is an eight-letter word ending in “…ing.”
    The statement above might be mouthed by duck-whistle-and-shotgun-packing hunters of pheasants, ducks or other small game – if you are using the most common definition of the noun, and using the second word as a participlefunctioning as a part of the continuous form of the verb.
    During their day jobs as stereotypical construction workers, those same hunters might be moved to mouth the same four-word statement – if you are using the second word as a participle functioning as an adjective, and using a less-common meaning of the noun that is very demeaning and quite politically incorrect. The hunters’ statement in this instance would be oxymoronic (and moronic!) and their tone would be sarcastic and/or ironic…
    And the construction workers might well accompany their words with a shrill sarcastic wolf whistle.
    What is this statement?

    Answer: “That dog is fetching.”

    Lego…

    ReplyDelete
  27. This week’s official answers, for the record, Part 3:

    MENU

    Mark’s Broketop Mountain Slice:
    Peak-a-Boom!
    What is the word some Native American Indians might use to refer to the Appalachian Mountains that have been destroyed by mountaintop mining?

    Answer: “Semi-knolls,” (Seminoles)



    Ripping Off Shortz Slice:
    Winnie the pooh-pooher
    Winnie the Grand “Pooh-bahr” – who seems to be always paying compliments to Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, Kanga and Roo – tends to pay his disrespects to non-Milne cartoon characters: to rabbits like Thumper, for example, but especially to caterpillars like Trumper.
    Think of a word for something sleazy, squalid, unsavory or disgusting. Rearrange its four letters and read them aloud to form a three-word sentence that Winnie might say to Trumper, not complimenting his appearance but denouncing him for being sleazy, squalid, unsavory or disgusting.
    What is the word, and what is the sentence?

    Answer: Crud;
    “You are seedy.” (U-R-C-D)

    Dessert Menu

    Long Playing Dessert:
    Vinyl B-siding and LP gas
    Take a two-word term sometimes used for a usually lesser-known song on a long-playing vinyl record album. The term is often reserved for a song that is the equivalent of the “B-side” of a 78-rpm or 45-rpm record – a song that usually only the most fanatical of the album singer’s fans would cherish, or perhaps even recognize. Such songs, rarely if ever played on the radio, are usually “buried” in a position later on in the LP album’s running time.
    An artist who rock‘n’rolled along within that “tidal wave” of late-1960’s-1970’s singer-songwriterswrote a song that opened Side 2 of his/her second studio album. The title of the song is a six-word statement that completely contradicts the informal, rambling definition – given above – of the two-word term.
    The song did not become a hit single for the artist who wrote it, but was subsequently a hit single for other singers who covered it.
    What is the two-word term? What is the song title?

    Answer: Deep cut;
    The First Cut is the Deepest.”

    Lego…

    ReplyDelete