Friday, August 11, 2017

Erich Maria Remarkable; Misspelling test; Somewhere over a couple color bands of the rainbow... James and the huge impeachment; Stooges in stogie-smoke-filled rooms

PUZZLERIA! SLICES: OVER (876 + 54) SERVED  

Welcome to our August 11th edition of Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! 

On this week’s menus are half-a-dozen puzzles:
One Roy G. Biv Appetizer,
One remarkable Appetizer,
One honeybee of a Slice,
Two peachy-keen Slices ripped-off from a “Willow tree, and
One stogie-smoke-filled Dessert.

So dont be a stooge or a Scrooge. Lie back in your La-Z-Boy like it’s a luge and light up a stogie that’s HUGE. 
And puff on our puzzles.
As always, enjoy sifting through our smokescreens.

Appetizer Menu

Spectra Vision Appetizer:
Somewhere over a couple color bands of the rainbow 

Insert an “i” within a 5-letter word associated with a certain color to form a word associated with a different color. These colors are more-or-less on opposite ends of the visible spectrum.

Put the two colors in alphabetical order, side-by-side without a space. Remove the last letter of the first color and double the first letter of the second color. The result is an adjective that often modifies “vision.”

What are these two colors and the two words associated with them? What is the adjective that often modifies “vision”? 

All Noisy On The Eastern Front Appetizer:
Erich Maria Remarkable

Among the most memorable words in a well-reported remark that made headlines this past week were three nouns, along with a common conjunction. Rearrange the letters of the 16 combined letters of those four words to form three new two-syllable nouns:
1. The first noun (4 letters) applies to the person to whom the remark was directed (but not, reportedly, to the speaker of the remark).
2. The second noun (6 letters) applies to the speaker of the remark (but not, apparently, to the father of the person to whom the remark was directed – particularly when this father was engaged in “walking softly and carrying a big club”).
3. The third noun (also 6 letters) should apply to any Earthling who believes in “a higher power” and who has heard the remark). A one-syllable homograph of this two-syllable noun is a word for what these Earthlings frankly don’t have as long as the likes of this “remarker” and this “remarkee” remain in positions of power, influence and responsibulity.
What are the four words among those the remark? What are the three nouns formed by rearranging these four words?
Hint:
#1 noun begins with a w.
#2 noun begins with a d.
#3 noun begins with a p.


MENU 

Tori Spelling Bee-Movie Slice:
Misspelling test

A 6-letter word is often misspelled by replacing its fifth letter with a different but incorrect vowel. Misspell the word in this way using lowercase letters. Delete the first letter and spell the result backward to form a 5-letter word associated with three-year-olds. It is also a word associated with a television character portrayed by Gene Barry.

Return to the original 6-letter word that is often misspelled. Spell it correctly this time, again using lowercase letters. Rotate the second and fourth letters 180 degrees about their vertical axes and, again, delete the first letter. View the result in a mirror and capitalize what now appears to be the first letter. The result is the title of a book set during the era of a war, the movie version of which was set during the era of a later war.

What is the 6-letter word that is often misspelled? What is the 5-letter word associated with three-year-olds and Gene Barrys character? What is the book/movie title?


Ripping Off Shortz Slices:
James and the huge impeachment

Will Shortz’s August 6th NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle reads: 
The word INAUGURATION contains the letters of GNU, GOAT, IGUANA and AGOUTI, which are all animals. The name of what 9-letter animal can be spelled from the letters of inauguration?
Puzzleria’s! Ripping Off Shortz Slices read:
ONE:
The word IMPEACHMENT contains the letters of HAM, PEA, PATE (not the crown of the head, the one pronounced pah tay) and MINT, which are all foods. Then, of course, there are PEACH and PECAN, which are also kinds of PIE. 
The name of what 9-letter food can be spelled from the letters of IMPEACHMENT to name another kind of pie?
The name of what 8-letter food prepared and EATen by North American Indians can be spelled from the letters of IMPEACHMENT? (This food which I learned about from reading a novel by Nikki Rajala (creator of last week’s Michelin/Michelob puzzle) – is sometimes spelled as a 7-letter word.)
The name of what 6-letter mint (that my kitten Smitten enjoys EATing) can be spelled from the letters of IMPEACHMENT?

TWO:
The word RESIGNATION contains the letters of ANTS, RATS, GNATS, GOATS, GATORS and TIGERS, which are all animals. The letters of RESIGNATION can be used to spell the names of what:
7-letter member of the congressional body that can vote to convict a sitting president based on articles of impeachment?
→ 7-letter high crime, other than bribery, that a president might be convicted of?
6-letter color of the sitting president’s hair?
3-letter color of the sitting president’s skin?
7-letter adjective meaning failure to exercise intelligence and sound judgment?
8-letter adjective meaning lacking knowledge or comphehension?
7-letter adjective meaning most silly?
8-letter Spanish-language title for Miss Universe 2010?
5-letter name of a stooge (named Howard, but not Moe) upon whose radio and TV broadcasts the sitting president often appeared, pre-POTUS?


Dessert Menu

De-Doubling Dessert:
Stooges in stogie-smoke-filled rooms

Remove all double adjacent letters from  the last name of a politician lately in the news. (For example, Oklahoma representative Steve Russell – who is not the answer – would become “Steve Rue.”) 
The politician’s last name, after removing the letters spells out the first name of a another stooge – or, to be more precise, the first name of another Stooge.

Who is this politician?   

Every Friday at Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! we publish a new menu of fresh word puzzles, number puzzles, logic puzzles, puzzles of all varieties and flavors. We cater to cravers of scrumptious puzzles!

Our master chef, Grecian gourmet puzzle-creator Lego Lambda, blends and bakes up mysterious (and sometimes questionable) toppings and spices (such as alphabet soup, Mobius bacon strips, diced snake eyes, cubed radishes, “hominym” grits, anagraham crackers, rhyme thyme and sage sprinklings.)

Please post your comments below. Feel free also to post clever and subtle hints that do not give the puzzle answers away. Please wait until after 3 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesdays to post your answers and explain your hints about the puzzles. We serve up at least one fresh puzzle every Friday.

We invite you to make it a habit to “Meet at Joe’s!” If you enjoy our weekly puzzle party, please tell your friends about Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! Thank you.

45 comments:

  1. I have a majority of the rip-off answers.
    Couldn't help but notice that IMPEACHMENT contains the letters needed to designate an animal sometimes associated with a former POTUS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. "Chimp" is my guess.
      Also, IMPEACHMENT contains the letters needed to spell out a 6-letter word for an ornamental yet functional fashion accessory that a woman might want to have in her possession if she ever finds herself alone in a room with the current POTUS.


      LegoNotesThat"Bushmeat"HunterS.ThompsonWasEngagedInBonzoJournalism

      Delete
    2. MACE? [I know that's only four letters.]

      CEMENT? [For clonking him on head]

      Ah, HATPIN!!!

      Delete
    3. I'd stay and moderate this discussion, but I'm afraid it's my bedtime.

      Delete
    4. Bedtime for Bosnia? Bedtime for Bonsai? Bedtime for "Banzai!"?

      LegoWhoPraysThatSalubriousDivineWindsWaftOverPaulAsHeSlumbers

      Delete
    5. SENATOR
      TREASON
      ORANGE
      TAN
      ???????
      IGNORANT
      INANEST
      SENORITA
      STERN
      And yes, I was thinking of a CHIMP named Bonzo.

      Delete
  3. I'm nowhere on the first three puzzles, but happily, solved all the bottom three, the Dessert almost immediately.

    What time do you go to bed, Paul? [Or maybe that was just a joke?]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot, I did get the two colors in the first Appetizer, and the vision word [went backwards per usual], but not the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have both colors, but am unsure of the word that has to have an I in it. I also was able to solve all the words in IMPEACHMENT and almost all in RESIGNATION(the seven-letter adjective for failure to exercise good judgment still escapes me). And of course, anyone who knows the Stooges(and not the Iggy Pop variety pictured)would have to get the Dessert. So that leaves part of the first Appetizer, the second Appetizer, and one word in Ripoff #2. I also happened to actually check Puzzleria! ahead of time while both my nieces were here, and for the moment one of our Kindles was free, instead of both kids using both at the same time. So I checked out of curiosity hours before officially getting started working on P! this week. Will need hints for the aforementioned toughies, Lego. BTW thanks in advance for accepting another of my puzzles on next week's P! Will Shortz may have turned me down, but I always know Legolambda has my back! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, cranberry. And, your excellent puzzles will always be welcome on Puzzleria! Thank you for sharing them with us.

      LegoSaysInTheWordWithThe"I"InItTheLetterThatImmediatelyPrecedesThe"I"IsA"U"

      Delete
  6. I also need help with the Menu puzzle involving Gene Barry. I can't believe I forgot about that! Guess I have other things on my mind. We are going on a cruise next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The character Barry portrayed (in a TV series) had an unusual first name. The word associated with the character appeared in the series' theme song.

      LegoWondersHowManyMinnesotansNamedTheirKittenAfterKentHrbek

      Delete
    2. I think I've got the right words, but am having trouble figuring out the war era book title. I'm also not sure which letters are supposed to be reversed or turned upside-down. It's more than a little confusing. Would at least like a list of letters that can be changed into other letters when transposed 180 degrees(you left the R out of "degrees", BTW).

      Delete
    3. This generator is somewhat helpful in rotating letters 180 degrees about their y-axes (that is, making mirror images of them). Lowercase d's become b's, and p's become q's, and vise versa. Many lowercase letters, like i's, o's, l's, v's etc. become themselves.

      If the second letter in Apua were rotated 180 degrees on its vertical axis, the result would be Aqua.

      LegoLambdanInTheMirror

      Delete
    4. I'm going nutso, because I figured I knew what the unusual first name is, so looked up the lyrics, and the ONLY word that applies to a three-year-old, simply REFUSES to be reversed into anything that could remotely make sense (with correct vowel or not.) SO I'm stuck.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't you just give out the answer there?

      Delete
    2. Sorry, VT. Pretend you didn't see anything. I deleted it once I read it again. I've had too much on my mind, what with our cruise to Cozumel coming up, and now this. I will say this: Will Shortz accepted one of my ideas, and I hope this tremendous goof on my part will be forgotten. My first time and I almost blow it! Forget I ever said anything. It's deleted. Damn it!

      Delete
    3. Well, hopefully no one but I saw it!!

      You are very lucky to be going on a cruise. I've never been on one in my life, and probably never will (although I'm not sure I'd LIKE being constrained on a ship out in the middle of the ocean.)

      Delete
  8. You're not exactly making me feel any better about it. I am quite nervous about going. For my mother and I it's our first trip outside the country, but my brother and sister-in-law have been on a cruise before. They've traveled a lot. They had to go to Beijing twice to adopt Mia Kate and Maddy. But I'm always nervous when I know I have to travel. Lots to think about. But they say there's a lot to do aboard the ship, and good food. It's still scary though. I have heard horror stories about people getting deathly ill or something goes wrong with the ship itself. It's hard not to think about, the closer to the cruise we get. Thank God I have all these puzzles to take my mind off it every week. They kinda help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, forgive me for making what has got to be the ultimate rookie mistake for someone whose submission has been accepted by the Puzzlemaster. I still have to post on Blaine's Blog, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you were actually NERVOUS about this cruise...I thought you were all excited about it. I wouldn't have said anything, if I had gathered that you were worrying!

      I don't quite understand what you mean about you "still have to post on Blaines, you know".....what does that have to do with anything? Or did you make the same goof there?

      Delete
    2. Congrats, Patrick, for sending a Will-worthy puzzle to Dr. Shortz. I figured it out, but it took me a while. Fun solve.
      (If you missed this morning's NPR broadcast, here is Patrick's puzzle:
      "Name a long-running TV show in two words. Add a C and rearrange the result to name another long-running TV show also in two words. What shows are these? And here's a hint: Both shows are currently on the air, although the second one was most popular (in) the past.")

      LegoLauds"PatrickThePuzzlemaster"

      Delete
  10. Trust me, VT, I meant nothing bad by my comment. It's just they're primarily the Sunday Puzzle blog, and I knew better than to make the same goof there. I have just checked Blaine, and although they sound like most have solved it, no one said anything about seeing it here accidentally. I still can't believe I did that! How stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, well I am very glad things appear to be all okay. I am also glad IF my having pointed out the goof caused you to get rid of it faster than you otherwise might have. : o )

      Delete
  11. I'd actually like to get back to the Puzzleria! business at hand. Any further hints, Lego?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I finally saw the trick in the Misspelling Test, so now I've got that one, although I'm not thoroughly sure about my answer for the book/movie. Scrolling through the cast of the movie I think it is, I noticed the name of an actor/comedian I had almost forgotten, but used to enjoy watching on talk shows. I didn't remember him from this* show, however.

    *Think of something the current occupant of the White House likes to do. Write it in all capital letters. Erase the last two letters and rotate each of the remaining letters individually about its respective vertical axis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      In my intended movie the only actor/comedians in the cast, I think, have initials of S.B., or perhaps B.K.
      I am thankful for your piggyback puzzle of my mirror-mirror-misspelling challenge. But there are zillions of things "the current occupant of the White House likes to do!"
      Also, rotating "each of the remaining letters individually about its respective vertical axis" doesn't seem to change much (but perhaps that's your intent)... perhaps the P becomes a lowercase q, but the letters B, C, D, E, F, G, J, K, L, N, Q, R, S, Z change for the worse (!) and the others stay the same.

      LegoWhoseAnswerIs"TW(RotatedE)"

      Delete
    2. Yes, indeed! Sandy Baron played Mr. Columbato in Birdy. I remembered him from Johnny Carson, but not from TW3. Finally realizing that the 3-year olds were not human was my 3piphany.

      Delete
  13. Hints:
    SVA:
    You see these colors ubiquitously on color TV, especially in certain early Novembers.
    The word you insert the "i" into is wine like white zin, for example.
    EMR:
    1. a white zin, aficionado, perhaps.
    2. A "Hilary" has a surname that is two-thirds of this 6-letter noun... (no, not Hillary.... Hilary!)
    3. Orationis... (no, not oragutan... orationis!)
    TSBMS:
    The 6-letter word is often misspelled by people who swear by the mnemonic expression: "i but not e, except before d.")
    Each three-year-olds weighs about a half-ton. It's something Gene Barry wore.
    ROSS:
    ONE:
    1. sounds kinda like it would freshen your breath.
    2. Begins with a p, ends with an n.
    3. "kitty crack"
    TWO:
    1. A future Twin or future Ranger.
    2. no rhyme of reason... just rhymes with "reason."
    3. _ _ _ _ _ (not U) T A N
    4. O R A N G U _ _ _
    5. starts with A
    6. starts with I
    7. starts with I
    8. ends with a famous meter maid
    9. opposite of stem
    DDD:
    You gotta remove 6 letters from the surname, leaving three. One of the letters you removed for the surname, if you remove it from the first name, leaves something that proverbially must be scratched.

    LegoSays"TheOneLHilaryIsStillAnActorTheTwoLHillaryIsNowNoFactor!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having finally worked out the second Appetizer (as well as the first one and the Spelling slice, all thanks to the hints), I am annoyed with myself because as it turns out, I had HAD essentially the correct quote right from the start, but had abandoned it, because I hadn't ever thought of the correct third noun...and was thus always missing one of the given initial letters for the re-formed nouns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got everything but the other half of the Gene Barry puzzle. Lego, you're basically telling me the part I already know. What is the correctly spelled word supposed to be in the "mirror image"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Return to the original 6-letter word that is often misspelled. Spell it correctly this time, again using lowercase letters. Rotate the second and fourth letters 180 degrees about their vertical axes and, again, delete the first letter."
      Be sure to rotate the second and fourth letters first; only then do you remove the first letter.
      The movie/book title is a homophone of the surname of a title character in a musical with an alliterative title.

      LeGoGoGrackle

      Delete
  16. BLUE+RED >> BLURRED
    I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't get this one until I read the 'wine' hint this morning. And I can't find the 'Yellow Submarine' clip I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. APPETIZERS:

    1. RED & BLUE; BLUSH => BLUISH; BLUERED => BLURRED

    2. TRUMP TO KIM JONG UN: FIRE, FURY AND POWER; 1st word: WINO; 2nd word: DUFFER; 3rd word: PRAYER

    TORI SPELLING SLICE: HYBRID => HYBRED => DERBY [3-year-old horses ; Bat's hat] ; hybrid => Birdy [book WWII; movie Vietnam War]

    RIP OFFS:

    1. IMPEACHMENT: MINCEMEAT; PEMMICAN / PEMICAN; CATNIP

    2. RESIGNATION: SENATOR; TREASON; ORANGE; TAN; ASININE; IGNORANT; INANEST; STERN

    DESSERT: McCONNELL => MOE

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, I forgot, I did have MINCEMEAT, PEMMICAN, CATNIP, and McCONNELL. I might have had ASININE at one time, but if so, I forgot it; I know SENORITA didn't come to me until the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Appetizer
    1. BLUSH, BLUISH; BLUE and RED, BLURRED
    2. "FIRE AND FURY", "POWER", WINO, DUFFER, PRAYER
    Menu
    HYBRED, DERBY, HYBRID, BIRDY
    Ripoffs
    ONE 1. MINCEMEAT
    2. PEMMICAN
    3. CATNIP
    TWO 1. SENATOR
    2. TREASON
    3. ORANGE
    4. TAN
    5. ASININE
    6. IGNORANT
    7. INANEST
    8. STERN
    Dessert
    (Mitch)McCONNELL, MOE
    That and a clean bill of health from my doctor today, and I'm having a good day!-pjb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Patrick. But I'd say you're having a good week!
      LegoSaysAHealthyCleanBillIsWorthMoreThanAHillOfBeans...'TilTheySendYouTheBill!

      Delete
  20. This week's official answers, for the record, Part 1:

    Appetizer Menu

    Spectra Vision Appetizer:
    Somewhere over a couple color bands of the rainbow
    Insert an “i” within a 5-letter word associated with a certain color to form a word associated with a different color. These colors are more-or-less on opposite ends of the visible spectrum.
    Put the two colors in alphabetical order, side-by-side without a space. Remove the last letter of the first color and double the first letter of the second color. The result is an adjective that often modifies “vision.”
    What are these two colors and the two words associated with them? What is the adjective that often modifies “vision”?
    Answer:
    red and blue; blush and bluish
    (blush + i = bluish)
    Blurred vision
    (blue - e + r + red = blur + red = blurred)

    All Noisy On The Eastern Front Appetizer:
    Erich Maria Remarkable
    Among the most memorable words in a well-reported remark that made headlines this past week were three nouns, along with a common conjunction. Rearrange the letters of the 16 combined letters of those four words to form three new two-syllable nouns:
    1. The first noun (4 letters) applies to the person to whom the remark was directed (but not, reportedly, to the speaker of the remark).
    2. The second noun (6 letters) applies to the speaker of the remark (but not, apparently, to the father of the person to whom the remark was directed – particularly when this father was engaged in “walking softly and carrying a big club”).
    3. The third noun (also 6 letters) should apply to any Earthling who believes in “a higher power” and who has heard the remark). A one-syllable homograph of this two-syllable noun is a word for what these Earthlings frankly don’t have as long as the likes of this “remarker” and this “remarkee” remain in positions of power, influence and responsibulity.
    What are the four words among those the remark? What are the three nouns formed by rearranging these four words?
    Hint:
    #1 noun begins with a w.
    #2 noun begins with a d.
    #3 noun begins with a p.
    Answer:
    fire, fury, and, power;
    wino, duffer, prayer

    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  21. This week's official answers, for the record, Part 2:

    MENU

    Tori Spelling Bee-Movie Slice:
    Misspelling test
    A 6-letter word is often misspelled by replacing its fifth letter with a different but incorrect vowel. Misspell the word in this way using lowercase letters. Delete the first letter and spell the result backward to form a 5-letter word associated with three-year-olds. It is also a word associated with a television character portrayed by Gene Barry.
    Return to the original 6-letter word that is often misspelled. Spell it correctly this time, again using lowercase letters. Rotate the second and fourth letters 180 degrees about their vertical axes and, again, delete the first letter. View the result in a mirror and capitalize what now appears to be the first letter. The result is the title of a book set during the era of a war, the movie version of which was set during the era of a later war.
    What is the 6-letter word that is often misspelled? What is the 5-letter word associated with three-year-olds and Gene Barry’s character? What is the book/movie title?
    Answer:
    Hybrid (often misspelled "hybred"), derby, "Birdy"
    misspelled words in states:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmyVufDQJdc

    Ripping Off Shortz Slices:
    James and the huge impeachment
    ONE:
    The word IMPEACHMENT contains the letters of HAM, PEA, PATE (not the crown of the head, the one pronounced pah tay) and MINT, which are all foods. Then, of course, there are PEACH and PECAN, which are also kinds of PIE.
    1. The name of what 9-letter food can be spelled from the letters of IMPEACHMENT to name another kind of pie?
    2. The name of what 8-letter food prepared and EATen by North American Indians can be spelled from the letters of IMPEACHMENT? (This food –which I learned about from reading a novel by Nikki Rajala (creator of last week’s Michelin/Michelob puzzle) – is sometimes spelled as a 7-letter word.)
    3. The name of what 6-letter mint (that my kitten Smitten enjoys EATing) can be spelled from the letters of IMPEACHMENT?
    Answer:
    1. Mincemeat (pie);
    2. Pemmican (also spelled "pemican");
    3. Catnip;

    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This week's official answers, for the record, Part 3:

    MENU: (continued)

    Ripping Off Shortz Slices (continued):
    TWO:
    The word RESIGNATION contains the letters of ANTS, RATS, GNATS, GOATS, GATORS and TIGERS, which are all animals. The letters of RESIGNATION can be used to spell the names of what:
    1. 7-letter member of the congressional body that can vote to convict a sitting president based on articles of impeachment?
    2. 7-letter high crime, other than bribery, that a president might be convicted of?
    3. 6-letter color of the sitting president’s hair?
    4. 3-letter color of the sitting president’s skin?
    5. 7-letter adjective meaning failure to exercise intelligence and sound judgment?
    6. 8-letter adjective meaning lacking knowledge or comphehension?
    7. 7-letter adjective meaning most silly?
    8. 8-letter Spanish-language title for Miss Universe 2010?
    9. 5-letter name of a stooge (named Howard, but not Moe) upon whose radio and TV broadcasts the sitting president often appeared, pre-POTUS?
    Answer:
    Senator; treason; orange; tan; asinine; ignorant; inanest; Senorita (Jimena "Ximena" Navarrete Rosete); (Howard) Stern

    Dessert Menu

    De-Doubling Dessert:
    Stooges in stogie-smoke-filled rooms
    Remove all double adjacent letters from the last name of a politician lately in the news. (For example, Oklahoma representative Steve Russell – who is not the answer – would become “Steve Rue.”)
    The politician’s last name, after removing the letters spells out the first name of a another stooge – or, to be more precise, the first name of another Stooge.
    Who is this politician?
    Answer:
    Mitch McConnell (Moe Howard, of the Three Stooges)
    McConnell - (cc + nn + ll) = Moe

    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even SAW the question about Seniorita!!! Was it added afterward, or did I just space out somehow?

      Delete
  23. I did forget to mention "SENORITA", didn't I? Sorry!

    ReplyDelete