PUZZLERIA! SLICES: OVER 5πe2 SERVED
Schpuzzle of the Week:
Order An Ordinary Nth Ordinal Number
Name a hyphenated ordinal number that consists of a second ordinal number and a anagram of slang term for “sailor.”
The result is a different ordinal number.
What are these two ordinal numbers?
What is the slang term for “sailor” and the “sailor anagram” that helped you to arrive at your correct answer?
Appetizer Menu
Double-Sweet Parabodiddley Appetizer:
Two 4x4 mini crosswords: “Great British Bakeoff”
(Note: The following two-part Appetizer comes courtesy of a brilliant young multitalented master-puzzle-maker named Mathew Huffman. Mathew has contributed literally hundreds of puzzles to Puzzleria! over our 16-plus years... and counting. Enjoy these fruits of his genius!
You can always count on Mathew to come up with challenging, entertaining and fresh challenges. This time, he has composed a pair of mini-crosswords. Enjoy his “gems” and his geniusMENU:
“Donny Broke His Nose!” Hors d’Oeuvre
“Fight erupts at Puzzle’s end!”
Insert a conjunction between the fifth and sixth letters, followed by a hyphen. Also place a hyphen between the fourth and fifth letters. The result is a synonym of “donnybrook.”
What are the term for rapid continuous plummeting and the synonym of “donnybrook?”
“Fishy” Slice:
Name a “fishy” opportunist, in two words, who seeks quick profit at the expense of others.
Delete first names from the middle of each word, leaving letters that can be rearranged to spell a beverage and a radio setting.
What are this opportunist, first names, beverage and setting?
MENU
Riffing Off Shortz and Schwartz:
Reduce NO letters in “bicycle” to get “bicycle!”
Will Shortz’s August 2nd Weekend Edition Sunday Puzzle Challenge, from Michael Schwartz of Florence, Oregon, reads:
Think of a type of exercise equipment in four syllables. Remove the two middle letters and you’ll name a means of transportation. What words are these?
Puzzleria!s Riffing Off Shortz And Schwartz Entrees read:
ENTREE #1
An premier word-puzzle-maker doubles as a proficient professional medical practitioner. His puzzles have appeared often on Will Shortz’s weekly “The Puzzle” broadcast, Sundays over National Public Radio
For example, he would be patient and never say “_____!...” (5 letters) even to a “difficult patient.
Nor would he ever write a contra-indicated
prescription for a patient with internal-not-exterior medical needs (a two-word astringent packed with healing tannins, for example, that smacks of a past Shirley Booth TV comedy) (5 & 5 letters).
prescription for a patient with internal-not-exterior medical needs (a two-word astringent packed with healing tannins, for example, that smacks of a past Shirley Booth TV comedy) (5 & 5 letters).
Those 15 letters can be rearranged to spell the name of our healer/puzzle-maker.
Solve that? Here is a pair Bonus medical Posers for you to solve (All six answers apply somewhat to our expert NPR puzzle-maker. All content in this is intended to allude to the works of this creative NPR puzzle-maker who is also blessed with healing expertise.):
Bonus Poser A:
Take:
A1. the profession of one who helps you remain healthy (5 letters), followed by...
A2. Five letters that can be anagrammed to spell a small sticky convex slip with instructions on how to help you maintain that health (5)
A3. a piece of medical exercise equipment (8,4).
Name the exercise equipment, the profession, and “sticky slip” that helps you remain healthy.
Solve that? Now solve...
Rearrange the 22 letters in Poser A to spell the answers in Part B:
B1. what medical professionals may say to reassure their patients (2 & 4 letters),
B2. a minuscule yet important circular iota that is often used in prescriptions (7), and B3. the type of ink doctors use to write prescriptions (pens, never pencils!) (9).
Who is this medical professional/puzzle-maker/health-helper?
What are the two answers to our introductory puzzle?
What are the six answers to our two Bonus Posers A & B?
Bonus Question: How are Bonus Posers A & B related to one another?
NOTE: Entrees #2 through #7 are conundrums drummed-up/dreamt-up by our friend and riffmeister extraordinaire, Nodd.
ENTREE # 2
Double the first two letters and rearrange to name equipment found on some means of transportation.
What are these words?
Think of a brand of exercise equipment.
Rearrange its letters to spell a car model name.
What are these words?
ENTREE # 4
Remove one letter and change another letter to an R.
Rearrange to spell a one-word plural term for certain means of transportation.
What are these words?
Think of a type of exercise equipment.
Change the first two letters. The result will spell a means of transportation.
What are these words?
ENTREE # 6
Rearrange its letters to spell a means of transportation, in two parts.
The first part is an abbreviation for the item being transported.
The second part is a plural word for vehicles used to transport this and other items.
What are these words?
Think of a type of exercise equipment.
Remove the first and last letters and rearrange
to name a truck manufacturer. What are these words?
to name a truck manufacturer. What are these words?
Dessert Menu
Advanced Spoonerization Dessert:
Poems & Recreation
Name a two-syllable Italian poet, scholar and humanist.
Interchange the first letter of the first syllable with the first two letters of the second syllable.
Pronounce these two new syllables as if each rhymes with its corresponding original syllable.
The result is an outdoor recreational area that provides opportunities for recreation, relaxation and shade, in two words.
Who is this Italian poet?
What is the recreational area?
Every Thursday at Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! we publish a new menu of fresh word puzzles, number puzzles, logic puzzles, puzzles of all varieties and flavors. We cater to cravers of scrumptious puzzles!
Our master chef, Grecian gourmet puzzle-creator Lego Lambda, blends and bakes up mysterious (and sometimes questionable) toppings and spices (such as alphabet soup, Mobius bacon strips, diced snake eyes, cubed radishes, “hominym” grits, anagraham crackers, rhyme thyme and sage sprinklings.)
Please post your comments below. Feel free also to post clever and subtle hints that do not give the puzzle answers away. Please wait until after 3 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesdays to post your answers and explain your hints about the puzzles. We serve up at least one fresh puzzle every Thursday.
We invite you to make it a habit to “Meet at Joe’s!” If you enjoy our weekly puzzle party, please tell your friends about Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! Thank you!
It is weird to find NO set-up categories this week...I imagine that is part of the "incompleteness" mentioned above? I just wanted to say that I solved the Appetizer. I imagine others will, too. I had never actually HEARD the term that is the answer; I went to look it up afterward.
ReplyDeleteTo place a comment under this QUESTIONS? subheading (immediately below), or under any of the three subheadings below it (HINTS! PUZZLE RIFFS! and MY PROGRESS SO FAR...), simply left-click on the orange "Reply" to open a dialogue box where you can make a comment. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteLego...
QUESTIONS\
ReplyDeleteHINTS!
ReplyDeleteYou say POTATO, but I've never said THAT.
DeleteSUNDAY HINTS FOR ENTREES 2-7:
Delete2. “Some means of transportation” does not include bicycles or EVs.
3. The car is now a hybrid.
4. Despite the name of the equipment, it might be costly.
5. The means of transportation would be seen in Amish country.
6. The item being transported is usually stored vertically in a protected site.
7. Change the last letter of the truck maker to a copy of the next to last letter and rearrange to get a cooling citrus drink.
Pretty much confirmed my answer to #7, but that's it. Hopefully my saying you would mostly see horses and buggies in Amish country, if I haven't given it all away there(which I doubt because I don't think "horse" or "buggy" would come from whatever exercise equipment I'm supposed to drop the first two letters from), clearly it must be an actual brand name of a horse-and-buggy, if there is such a thing. I was totally lucky to find the answer to #7, given my finding absolutely ZERO other exercise-equipment-related answers, and the hints have only gotten me further and further AND further away from any and all intended answers(except #7). Bravo. You've basically only confirmed #7 for me. Nothing more, nothing less. Bravo, and kudos.
DeletepjbDidSolveThisWeek'sSundayPuzzleChallenge,SoHeDoesn'tNecessarilyNeedThisThen,DoesHe?
Sunday-Into-Monday Hints
DeleteSchpuzzle of the Week:Schpuzzle of the Week:
Order An Ordinary Nth Ordinal Number
A word that makes up the majority of the answer appears in plain sight!
Appetizer: Two 4x4 mini crosswords: “Great British Bakeoff”
I shall allow Mathew to provide hints as he sees fit.
“Donny Broke His Nose!” Hors d’Oeuvre:
“Fight erupts at Puzzle’s end!”
'...crazy 'bout Elvis..."
Riffing off Shortz and Schwartz:
#1 Part of Poser A's answer sounds like a spherical pill.
Poser B includes a word that sounds like a measurement of sound.
Nodd has generously provided hints to his wonderful riffs, #2-through #7, in his August 9, 2026 at 2:45 PM Post, above.
Advanced Spoonerization Dessert:
The poet's name begins with a poodle, perhaps, and ends with a foot-part.
LegoHintingling
I'm working through the hints, but I don't see one for the Slice. I haven't solved that yet.
DeleteTortie, the term for a "fishy" opportunist in the Slice is two six-letter words. Think flounder or sole.
DeleteNodd, thanks for that. I have the answer now.
DeleteFor some reason, I'm not having great luck with the puzzles this week, even after the hints. I'm still missing the Schpuzzle, even though I know what one of the words must be. And I'm also missing Entrees #3, 5, and 6. At least I solved the App
Great. The answer to the Dessert IS the one name that came up a lot as I was trying to find the "poet, scholar, humanist". Was the spoonerization of the name really that easy for you, Lego? Because I am having trouble seeing it. And then I had to look up the phrase I sort of got from it. No real use of this phrase in anything I found, really. Is it actually a commonly used phrase? Up in Minnesota where Lego is, maybe. Not really here in Alabama, I don't think.
DeletepjbMustNowRechargeHisKindlr,AsTheKeyboardHasJustTurnedFromWhiteToBlack
I had trouble with the Dessert as well. My answer doesn't really match the poet's pronunciation from what I've seen.
DeleteFollow-up hints for Entrees:
Delete3. The equipment brand is a girl's name. The car is a top-selling sedan.
5. The exercise equipment would be used in a pool to target the lower body.
6. The item being transported is something North Korea now has. The means of transportation is something you might rent if you're moving.
When I went to do the Dessert, and one obvious name popped up, I had trouble splitting it into two syllables, because the 'rules' we learned during school years didn't seem to apply (ie split between two consonants.). Only after looking at the BRITISH pronunciation, did the split Lego was after seem to be legit.
DeleteTortie, I'm utterly stuck on the Schpuzzle, as well. Every slang word for a sailor seems to need a letter that doesn't appear in any number until you go really HIGH up...and then I can't work anything out after doing so. [And Lego's hint didn't help.] I've given up.
DeleteI don't know if it's the right answer, but I found a slang word for sailor that you can remove from a hyphenated ordinal number to leave a non-hyphenated ordinal number. The slang word is an anagram of a cardinal number. The slang word can mean a sailor, but it can also mean other things. The slang word is a jewelry brand minus two letters. As I say, I may be totally wrong!
DeleteThat sounds intriguing, Nodd. I suspect that you are probably in possession of the correct answer...as you so often are!!
DeleteWell, that got me #3 so far. Not finding any anagrams using the letters of what I'm sure are used for moving, and what North Korea now has, has many different abbreviations. Haven't solved #5 at all. What, no more hints for #2 and #4? Need more info on the slang word, not finding anything except that Pandora could become "panda", but there's nothing about sailors in its few nicknames. You may, in fact, be totally wrong! Just saying I have my doubts at this hour.
DeletepjbShould'veBeenToBedAlreadyByNow,ButNo,HeJustHadToCheckBackHere!
pjb, I think the slang term is related to the jewelry company that is associated with "breakfast" or "I think we're alone now." That word showed up a few times while I was trying to solve the puzzle. It does appear to be a slang term for sailor, although a somewhat obscure one.
DeleteMore follow-up hints for Entrees:
Delete2. The exercise is a system designed to strengthen your core, kind of like yoga but of more recent invention.
4. The exercise equipment is for pumping iron without using machines.
Tortie; yes, I came up with the same "slang" term whose jewelry company is associated with 'breakfast' as you apparently did. NEVER HEARD the word in my whole life. That would give us the hyphenated term (or any choice thereof), but what I still don't get is how to come up with a third ordinal number (if indeed that is what Lego had meant...i.e."different" as he calls it). But I'm sick of thinking about this puzzle!
DeleteComment to PJB's post on Aug 9 at 6:10 p.m. (Pacific time, not sure if this blog automatically changes times; it has seemed to do so in the past.). As I was trying, for the first time, to tackle Entree 5, SUDDENLY an alternate term for that which you have mentioned above, that I had completely forgotten existed, popped into my head, when I took a harder look at what the correct exercise equipment is. [I'd forgotten we were meant to change the first two letters.]. Perhaps the same will occur to you?
DeleteHINTS!
ReplyDeletePUZZLE RIFFS!
ReplyDeleteMY PROGRESS SO FAR...
ReplyDeleteIF YOU HAVE COMMENTS THAT DO NOT PERTAIN TO ANY OF THE FOUR CATEGORIES ABOVE, YOU MAY WRITE THEM BELOW THIS POST. THANK YOU.
ReplyDeleteLego, I LOVE that adorable moose picture in Entree 5. Where did you get it? If part of it is missing, due to cropping, could you possibly email me the entire pic? Thanks....
DeleteHappy end-of-the-week to all!
ReplyDeleteI'm fine. Mom has had a stomachache for a few days now. Mia Kate suggested going to Rock and Roll Sushi for supper, but Mom said no. Bryan and Renae decided to go to the condo in FL for a few days, and didn't bother to tell me or Mom. I got a much-needed haircut and beard trim at Cuts By Us earlier this afternoon, and had Wendy's for lunch(Baconator, Baconator Fries, Diet Dr. Pepper, and an Oreo Brownie Frosty Fusion). I will be fixing my own supper later tonight. Only thing I've solved so far is the Hors d'Oeuvre, but I'm sure the intended answer can be obtained by not just putting a conjunction and a hyphen after the fifth letter, but also putting a hyphen before the fifth letter as well. That's what I got anyway. BTW I really have to ask, what does "delete first names from the middle of each word" mean in the Slice? Is this not a one-word term for an opportunist that we're looking for? Shouldn't it be first LETTERS, not names? Lego, you really need to go back and check your original text on that one, because it makes no real sense whatsoever. Will be waiting patiently for this particular edition of P! to be finished. Still have to finish the Prize Crossword later when Wordplays.com finally has the answers to those clues ready(hopefully!). Good luck to all in solving, and please stay safe, etc. Cranberry out!
pjbDoesn'tHaveToWorryAboutItAllForTheTimeBeing(ThankGod!)
Since Lego hasn't answered you yet re the Slice, I thought I would put in my two cents' worth. In the answer I got, indeed the opportunist term is TWO words. EAch word has a first name in the middle of it. But the part that Lego did NOT make clear was that after removing those names, you have to REARRANGE the remaining letters...the answer doesn't just 'fall out' after the two names are removed.
DeleteThank you greatly for that excellent "ViolinTedditing," ViolinTeddy!
DeleteI have corrected my two-words omission, and my failure to mention that little matter of rearranging the letters that remain after the "double-name purge.
LegoWhoGetsByWithALittleHelp&GetsHelpFromHisFriendsOnPuzzleria!
You are most welcome, Lego!
DeleteRIP, Queen Jackie. 🦅 Fly high.
ReplyDeleteSCHPUZZLE – FIFTY-FOURTH, remove TIFFY to get FOURTH (?)
ReplyDeleteAPPETIZER – 1. WASH, ALLO, ROIL, YODA; 2. UHOH, RAKE, GNAR, EDY’S; HOLLYWOOD HANDSHAKE
HORS D’OEUVRE – FREE FALL, FREE-FOR-ALL
SLICE – BOTTOM FEEDER; OTTO, ED; BEER, FM
ENTREES
1. SCRAM, WITCH HAZEL = MICHAEL SCHWARTZ
1A. MEDICINE BALL; MEDIC, LABEL
1B. BE CALM, DECIMAL, INDELIBLE
Bonus Question: a decimal may be seen on a label (?)
2. PILATES, TAILPIPES
3. MARCY, CAMRY
4. FREE WEIGHTS, FREIGHTERS
5. KICKBOARD, BUCKBOARD
6. STAIR CLIMBER, ICBM TRAILER
7. TREADMILL, DAIMLER
DESSERT – PETRARCH, TREE PARK
Schpuzzle: SIXTY-FIFTH, TIFFY, SIXTH (also works with SEVENTY-FIFTH, EIGHTY-FIFTH)
ReplyDeleteApp:
HOLLYWOOD HANDSHAKE (WASH, ALLO, ROIL,, YODA; WARY, ALOO, SLID, HOLA; UHOH, RAKE, GNAR, EDYS; URGE, HAND, OKAY, HERS)
Hors d’Oeuvre: FREEFALL, FREE-FOR-ALL
Slice: BOTTOM FEEDER (-OTTO, ED), BEER, FM
Entrees:
1. MICHAEL SCHWARTZ, SCRAM, WITCH HAZEL; BONUS A: NURSE (COACH?), LABEL, EXERCISE BIKE; BONUS B:
2. PILATES, TAIL PIPES
3. MARCY, CAMRY
4. FREE WEIGHTS, FREIGHTERS
5. KICKBOARD, BUCKBOARD
6. STAIR CLIMBER, ICBM, TRAILERS
7. TREADMILL, DAIMLER
Dessert: PETRARCH, TREE PARK
Never heard of ALOO before. That was a sticking point in the Appetizer for a while for me.
ReplyDeleteSchpuzzle
ReplyDeleteTIFFY: "An engine room artisan(Royal Navy slang, from late 1890s)...In the defence(sic)forces, a member of the Technical Service Corps, a mechanic...Originally, a term that was short for 'artificer'...Today, it is the name for the medical man aboard a ship, e.,g. The 'Sick Bay Tiffy'."; FIFTY-FIRST, FIFTY-SECOND, FIFTY-THIRD, etc.
Appetizer Menu
A.(ACROSS)(1.)WASH, (2.)ALLO(could be ELLO, too), (3.)ROIL, (4.)YODA(DOWN)(1.)WARY(2.)ALOO(3.)SLID(4.)HOLA(Why is there a question mark at the end? I've taken Spanish, and it is a legitimate greeting in the language, no joke!); HOLLYWOOD
B.(ACROSS)(1.)UHOH(2.)RAKE(3.)GNAR(4.)EDY(')S(DOWN)(1.)URGE(2.)HAND(3.)OKAY(4.)HERS; HANDSHAKE
"HOLLYWOOD HANDSHAKE"(Cute. Don't call us, we'll call you.)
Menu
"Donny Broke His Nose!" Hors d'Oeuvre
FREEFALL, FREE-FOR-ALL(See, Lego? TWO hyphens!)
"Fishy" Slice
BOTTOM FEEDER, OTTO, ED, BEER, FM(frequency modulation)
Entrees
1. MICHAEL SCHWARTZ=SCRAM+WITCH HAZEL
Bonus Poser A
A1. MEDIC
A2. LABEL
A3. MEDICINE BALL
Bonus Poser B
B1. BE CALM
B2. DECIMAL
B3. INDELIBLE
Bonus Question
A DECIMAL may be found on a LABEL.
2. PILATES, TAILPIPES
3. MARCY, CAMRY
4. FREE WEIGHTS, FREIGHTERS
5. KICKBOARD, BUCKBOARD
6. STAIR CLIMBER, ICBM TRAILERS
7. TREADMILL, DAIMLER
Advanced Spoonerization Dessert
(Francesco Petrarca, or Francis)PETRARCH, TREE PARK
With a lot of this, I basically just have to add this: If you say so.-pjb
SCHPUZZLE: Per Nodd’s Aug 10 comment, I finally found “TIFFY”, a word I’ve never heard of before. It’s an anagram of’ FIFTY', and is ‘TIFFANY' with two letters removed. So FIFTY-FIRST (or SECOND, or THIRD, etc). Removing TIFFY leaves you with just ‘FIRST” or “SECOND” …etc. I”m not sure if we were supposed to somehow create a THIRD ordinal number or not. If so, I don’t know how to do that. [Slang terms in the photos: GOB, TAR, SQUID, SWABBIE]
ReplyDeleteAPPETIZER: HOLLYWOOD HANDSHAKE: WASH/ALLO/ROIL/YODA & UHOH/RAKE/GNAR/EDYS
HORS D’O: FREE FALL => FREEF/OR/ALL => FREE FOR ALL. [Pre-hints]
SLICE; BOTTOM FEEDER minus OTTO & ED => BMFEER => BEER & FM. [Pre-hints]
ENTREES:
1. SCRAM, WITCH HAZEL => MICHAEL SCHWARTZ;
POSER A1: MEDIC; POSER A2: LABEL; POSER A3: MEDICINE BALL
POSER B1: BE CALM; POSER B2: DECIMAL; POSER B3: INDELIBLE. [All pre-hints]
2. PILATES => TAILPIPES [Only post several hints]
3. MARCY (Never heard of it) => CAMRY [Due ONLY to the last hint]
4. FREE WEIGHTS --remove an ‘e’ and ‘w’, add ‘r' => FREIGHTERS. [Again, only due to the TWO hints, impossible otherwise]
5. KICKBOARD => BUCKBOARD [At risk of ad nauseam repetition, both hints were majorly required to solve]
6. STAIR CLIMBER => ICBM TRAILERS. [This was next to impossible, even with the hints, since missiles can be called ABMs, SAMs and other abbreviations, and moving could be with VANS]
7. LIME ADE [I took a good guess re the hint] => DAIMLER => TREADMILL
DESSERT: PETRARCH => TRE PARCH => TREE PARK. [Pre-hints]
I was able to solve #4 pre hint, only because I figured out the first picture was "WEIGH FESTER" and got the FREE WEIGHTS anagram out of that.
DeleteThis Week's Official (Well, Sorta...) Answers For The Record, Part 1
ReplyDeleteSchpuzzle of the Week:
Order An Ordinary Nth Ordinal Number
Name a Hyphenated Ordinal Number that consists of a Second Ordinal Number and a anagram of slang term for “sailor.”
Delete that slang term from your original ordinal number.
The result is a different ordinal number.
What are these two ordinal numbers?
What is the slang term for “sailor” and the anagram “that helped you get you to your correct answer?”
Answer:
SECOND-LAST; SECOND; SALT (AN ANAGRAM OF "LAST")
(SECOND-LAST) – LAST = SECOND)
Lego...
Yeesh, none of us understood what to do with that Schpuzzle!
DeleteThis Week's Official Answers For The Record, Part 2
ReplyDeleteAppetizer Menu
Double-Sweet Parabodiddley Appetizer:
Two 4x4 mini crosswords: “Great British Bakeoff”
(Note: I will need some time before I give official answers to Mathew's great puzzles. I had trouble opening the "format" in which he encoded them. But I will work on it if I have time.
On the bright side, You all have seem to solved these difficult puzzles in amazingly fine fashion! (Patrick J. Berry's -- that is, cranberry's -- answers, for example, seem pretty spot-on, as far as I can tell/recall.)
MENU:
“Donny Broke His Nose!” Hors d’Oeuvre
“Fight erupts at Puzzle’s end!”
Name an eight-letter term or a rapid, continuous plummeting.
Insert a conjunction between the fifth and sixth letters, followed by a hyphen. Also place a hyphen between the fourth and fifth letters.
The result is a synonym of “donnybrook.”
What are the term for rapid continuous plummeting, and the synonym of “donnybrook?”
Answer:
Free Fall; Free For All
FREE FALL => FREE FORALL => FREE => FREE FOR ALL\
“Fishy” Slice
“Trout, Stout, LOUD!”
Name a “fishy” opportunist who seeks quick profit at the expense of others.
Delete first names from the middle of each word, leaving letters that can spell a beverage and a radio setting.
What are this opportunist, first names, beverage and setting.
Answer:
Bottom Feeder;
BOTTOM FEEDER => BO M FE ER => BEER + FM
Lego...
This Week's Official Answers For The Record, Part 3
ReplyDeleteRiffing Off Shortz and Schwartz:
Reduce NO letters in “bicycle” to get “bicycle!”
Will Shortz’s August 2nd Weekend Edition Sunday Puzzle Challenge, from Michael Schwartz of Florence, Oregon, reads:
Think of a type of exercise equipment in four syllables. Remove the two middle letters and you’ll name a means of transportation. What words are these?
Puzzleria!s Riffing Off Shortz And Schwartz Entrees read:
ENTREE #1
An premier word-puzzle-maker doubles as a proficient professional medical practitioner. His puzzles have appeared often on Will Shortz’s weekly “The Puzzle” broadcast, Sundays over National Public Radio
For example, he would be patient and never say “_____!...” (5 letters) even to a “difficult patient.
Nor would he ever write a contra-indicated prescription for a patient with internal-not-exterior medical needs (a two-word astringent packed with healing tannins, for example, that smacks of a past Shirley Booth TV comedy) (5 & 5 letters).
Those 15 letters can be rearranged to spell the name of our healer/puzzle-maker...
Lego...
This Week's Official Answers For The Record, Part 4
ReplyDelete(continued from above)
Solve that? (the puzzle immediately above)
Here is a pair Bonus medical Posers for you to solve (All six answer apply somewhat to our expert NPR puzzle-maker. All content in this is intended to allude to the works of this creative NPR puzzle-maker who is also blessed with healing expertise.):
Bonus Poser A:
Take:
A1. the profession of one who helps you remain healthy (5 letters), followed by...
A2. Five letters that can be anagrammed to spell a small sticky convex slip with instructions on how to help you maintain that health (5)
A3. a piece of medical exercise equipment (8,4).
Name the exercise equipment, the profession, and “sticky slip” that helps you remain healthy.
Solve that? Now solve...
Bonus Poser B:
Rearrange the 22 letters in Poser A to spell the answers in Part B:
B1. what medical professionals may say to reassure their patients (2 & 4 letters),
B2. a minuscule yet important circular iota that is often used in prescriptions (7), and
B3. the type of ink doctors use to write prescriptions (pens, never pencils!) (9).
Who is this medical professional/puzzle-maker/health-helper?
What are the two answers to our introductory puzzle?
What are the six answers to our two Bonus Posers A & B?
Bonus Question: How are Bonus Posers A & B related to one another?
Bonus A:
Answer:
Michael Schwartz;
"Scram!"; Witch Hazel (Booth portrayed Hazel, a live-in maid, not a broom-riding witch);
NOTE: "Scram!" + Witch Hazel = an anagram of Michael Schwartz
Poser A: Medic, Label, Medicine Ball
Poser B: "Be calm!", Decimal, Indelible
Lego...
This Week's Official Answers For The Record, Part 5
ReplyDeleteEntrees #2 through #7 are conundrums drummed-up/dreamt-up by our friend and riffmeister extraordinaire, Nodd.
ENTREE # 2
Name a kind of exercise you may use equipment to perform. Double the first two letters and rearrange to name equipment found on some means of transportation. What are these words?
Answer:
PILATES, TAILPIPES
ENTREE # 3
Think of a brand of exercise equipment. Rearrange its letters to spell a car model name. What are these words?
Answer;
MARCY, CAMRY
ENTREE # 4
Think of a type of exercise equipment, in two words. Remove one letter and change another letter to an R. Rearrange to spell a one-word plural term for certain means of transportation. What are these words?
Answer:
FREE WEIGHTS, FREIGHTERS
ENTREE # 5
Think of a type of exercise equipment. Change the first two letters. The result will spell a means of transportation. What are these words?
Answer:
KICKBOARD, BUCKBOARD
ENTREE # 6
Think of a type of exercise equipment, in two words. Rearrange its letters to spell a means of transportation, in two parts. The first part is an abbreviation for the item being transported. The second part is a plural word for vehicles used to transport this and other items. What are these words?
Answer:
STAIR CLIMBER, ICBM TRAILERS
ENTREE #7:
Think of a type of exercise equipment. Remove the first and last letters and rearrange to name a truck manufacturer. What are these words?
Answer:
TREADMILL, DAIMLER
Dessert Menu
Advanced Spoonerization Dessert:
Poems & Recreation
Name a two-syllable Italian poet, scholar and humanist.
Interchange the first letter of the first syllable with the first two letters of the second syllable. Pronounce these two new syllables as if each rhymes with its corresponding original syllable.
The result is an outdoor recreational area that provides opportunities for recreation, relaxation and shade, in two words.
Who is this Italian poet?
What is the recreational area?
Answer:
Petrarch; Tree Park
Petrarch => Tre Parch => Tree Park
Lego!
BTW Steve-O finally got to leave tonight's episode of "Nation's Dumbest". Can't believe anybody would not know what a "one-armed bandit" is. It's obviously a slot machine. The contestants must not get to Vegas very often.
ReplyDeletepjbThinksThisWeek'sAnswersWereEnoughWithoutIncluding"Nation'sDumbest"Results(HeWould'veBeenInformedThatHis"CommentIsTooLong"!)