Friday, January 22, 2016

Mary and Polly were lovers... music lovers; Clothes capuchin monkey biz; Two’s company, three’s a party! Text is two-stepped; Prime cuts; Kosher dilly-deli

PUZZLERIA! SLICES: OVER e4 + pi4 SERVED

Welcome to our January 22nd edition of Joseph Young’s Puzzleria!

We are pleased and honored to welcome back patjberry as a guest puzzle contributor this week. His excellent original puzzle appears directly beneath our main MENU heading. It is titled Sing Sing Song Song Slice: Mary and Polly were lovers…music lovers.”

Thank you, patjberry! (Hints are available from Patrick if you run into a solving roadblock.)

Also on this week’s menu are a second helping of “LegoLarceny” (Ripping Off Shortz Slice); a hop, skip and a jig of a rug-cutting morsel; two prime-time appetizers; and we top it all off with some capuchin monkey business for dessert. Enjoy!

Morsel Menu
 
Prest-O Epode Morsel:
Text is two-stepped
A word that means to have not two left feet but two right hands
Is what you’ll need to solve this puzzle’s curious demands.
First, take its first four letters, place the last before the first
To form no hand, instead a foot, a base for words well-versed…
Three-score-less-four such feet two-step across this text-tiled floor.
Remove the new fourth letter, then the word’s “caboose” restore.
Insert two spaces near the front to form three words at most
That sound like they could be a prestidigitator’s boast.
What is the “two-right-handed” word you began with? What is the “sleight-of-handed” boast you ended with? What “feet” did you use to two-step your way from beginning to end?
Hint: The final word in the boast has an alternative spelling.

Appetizer Menu

Not Ready For Prime Time Appetizer:
Kosher dilly-deli

“New largest prime number is found,” read some headlines this past week. What word does not belong in that sentence? In other words, what word is the “odd man out,” so to speak?

All six words in the sentence do, however, share a property that involves each word’s final letter. It is not an uncommon property, but tends to become less common the longer the word is. For example, words in this puzzle such as “sentence,” “property,” “become” and “uncommon” do not have the property, while “less,” “not,” “that” and “and” do. “Headlines” and “involves” have the property but “headline” and “involve” do not. 


If we wrote “New biggest prime number is discovered,” all words would share the property except for “biggest.” (And, to be honest, although “largest” is kosher it does rely on an alternative spelling to be so.)

What is the “odd word out” in our headline? What property do all six words share?

Prime Time Appetizer:
Prime cuts

This number puzzle is inspired by discovery of the new largest prime number. Consider the following sequence of numbers:
11, 23, 29, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 67, 71, 73, 79,…

What are the next two numbers in the sequence?


MENU

Sing Sing Song Song Slice:
Mary and Polly were lovers…music lovers

Mary’s favorite song, which was recorded in the mid-1980s by a female singer with a one-word name, has a two-word title.
Polly’s favorite song, which was recorded in the late-1970s by a male singer with a more conventional two-word name, has a one-word title.

“Polly” is the ideal name for a follower and fan of her song’s singer, who is associated with a certain feathered creature that always reminds Polly of the singer. The second letter of the creature’s six letters is an “A”.
The names of Mary and the singer of her favorite song are connected “spiritually” by a six-letter word that always reminds Polly of the singer. The word begins with a “V”, which is also the first letter in the one-word title of a hit song the singer would record years later.

Add an “A” and “V” to the title of Mary’s favorite song’s title and rearrange the letters to form Polly’s favorite song’s title.

What are Mary’s and Polly’s favorite songs and their singers? What are the words that remind the women of the singers?

Hint: The female singer has been associated with a person much in the news lately.

Ripping Off Shortz Slice:
Two’s company, three’s a party!

Will Shortz’s Weekend Edition Sunday Puzzle on NPR this week reads:
Think of a category in three letters in which the last two letters are the first two letters of something in the category. And the thing in the category has seven letters. Both names are common uncapitalized words. What are they?
An example of such a pair (but not with a three-letter category) is “vegetable: lettuce.”

Our rip-off puzzle gives you categories (actually some of them are more like simple clues) along with the number of letters in the answers, in {brackets}. In our version of Will Shortz’s puzzle, the last three letters of the category are the first three letters of something in the category. (For example, “Periodical” could yield “California Cattleman Magazine.”

In the final category/clue (# 26), the last four letters of the category are the first four letters of something in the category.  

1.   Television show: {5, 5} or {3, 1, 3, 4, 6}
2.   First name of an author: {7}
3.   Body part: {6}
4.   Home building supply: {7}
5.   “No-Name Equine” trio name: {7}
6.   Japanese menu item: {7}
7.   Bad habit: {6, 4, 5}
8.   Congenital oral utensil: {6, 5}
9.   Example of Greek prosody: {7 (with “The”)}
10. “Spacey British” politician: {3, 6}
11. Lady MacBeth’s shout: {3, 6, 4…}
12. Mode of travel: {10}
13. Wintertime wear: {8}
14. Molecular operation: {10}
15. The “Mortmere Master of English”: {11,9}
16. Entertainment that originated in Europe: {5}
17.Welcome guest who encounters unwelcome “guests” (cockroaches or other pests) at an apartment in New York: {5, 3}
18. Purchase at a spice store: {7}
19. Liverpool group lead singer {5}
20. Non-fiction writer: {6}
21. Sorority or fraternity people: {7}
22. Football star {4,9}
23. Basketball star {3,7}
24. Baseball star {4, 9} or {5, 9}
25a. Scoring play involving a hoop in basketball (first part of a hyphenated word): {5}
25b. Scoring play in basketball involving a hoop (second part of a hyphenated word): {3}
26. Term used in forecasting weather


Dessert Menu

Newsy Doozy Dessert:
Clothes capuchin monkey biz

Take the last names of two people who appeared in the same news story this past week. Rearrange these letters three times to form three different captions for the three images pictured here that do not involve clothed capuchin critters.

One caption has two words, each with the same odd number of letters. Another caption also has two words with even numbers of letters that differ by 2. A third caption has three words, two with the same odd number of letters and the third with an even number.

Who are these news makers? What are the three captions?

Every Friday at Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! we publish a new menu of fresh word puzzles, number puzzles, logic puzzles, puzzles of all varieties and flavors. We cater to cravers of scrumptious puzzles!


Our master chef, Grecian gourmet puzzle-creator Lego Lambda, blends and bakes up mysterious (and sometimes questionable) toppings and spices (such as alphabet soup, Mobius bacon strips, diced snake eyes, cubed radishes, “hominym” grits, anagraham crackers, rhyme thyme and sage sprinklings.)

Please post your comments below. Feel free also to post clever and subtle hints that do not give the puzzle answers away. Please wait until after 3 p.m. Eastern Time on Tuesdays to post your answers and explain your hints about the puzzles. We serve up at least one fresh puzzle every Friday.


We invite you to make it a habit to “Meet at Joe’s!” If you enjoy our weekly puzzle party, please tell your friends about Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! Thank you.

41 comments:

  1. I think I have half of the kosher appetizer.

    I'm sure I've got the morsel. I recall seeing the word written on a 'very interesting' surface, once upon a time. Sadly, I've never been able to locate a picture of it here on teh interwebs. Maybe I can track one down by Tuesday; if not, I'll just tell you about it. I also recall the adverbial form of the word appearing on a magazine cover that Will Shortz might recall. I've never really tried to find a cyberimage of it, but, again, if I find one by Tuesday, I'll post it; otherwise, you may have to wade through a verbose description.

    Or, I may just lose interest, entirely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous" being inscribed somewhere on Goldie Hawn's anatomy back in 1970 or so. Maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part. The quote may actually be from Yogi Berra ... but, then, he didn't really say all those things he said.
      And a Games magazine cover back at about the time Mr. Shortz was working there featured a court jester juggling the letters a, b, d, e, i, l, m, o, r, s, t, u, x, and y.

      Delete
  2. I've already got the two-right-hands morsel, and the list of answers "ripping off" Will Shortz, as well as the dessert. Speaking of which, might it be too obvious what two people appeared in the same news story this past week? You betcha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the weather is preventing many bloggers from checking in this week? It's still just me and Paul so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO snow here, pjb....just was late even trying the puzzles. Can't get last part of the morsel; have all but #'s 2, 5, 8, 22, 23, 24 (the sports one, no surprise) of the RIpping Off Shortz Slice; BUT have achieved nothing on yours (except the bird, but can't find any singer to associate), OR on the appetizer or the dessert. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well VT, let me help you. If it's the right bird, it had a nonspeaking role in a very memorable sketch from a well-known comedy troupe in the 70s, the same as the male singer. There's also a religious connection with both singers, though more with the female than the male. Her connection is quite obvious, but his is not as obvious. His connection involves a holiday celebrated by lots of people every year, but only a few, like him, have another reason to celebrate altogether. Both singers have a Beatles connection, hers more obvious than his. And just tonight doing the Private Eye crossword, I learned there is a British cable channel that is named for Mary's six-letter word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. patjberry,
      Now that's what I call hinting!

      Lego"YouCanRestAssured...IfIt'sTheRightBird"IHaveJustNowAdoptedAsMyOfficialPersonalMotto

      Delete
    2. Hallelujah! The Mary's singer name suddenly came to me, and then I began searching song titles for that person. The ONLY song I knew of I had no idea how to deal with, until I started applying your hints, whereupon I finally, almost accidentally, stumbled upon Polly's singer. Then a bunch of Googling and being aware of the two letters A and V that had to be added, and suddenly, a SONG title appeared. A bit of anagram help and at LAST, I realized that I'd picked the correct Mary song, and it all works out. Very clever, pjb (and also very difficult when one isn't 'in the know' re rock and pop singers.)

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Lego. I tried to be helpful without giving too much away. BTW read "the same as the male singer" as "the same TIME as that of the male singer". He had nothing to do with the sketch or the troupe. They were all first seen by many in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good day, you guys. I haven't yet digested pjb's kind hints, but wanted to say that as I was getting ready for bed last night, bingo, suddenly the answer to the desert bopped into my brain....as well as one of the captions. I now have the second caption, but am having trouble with the baseball one (two words make sense, but in each case, I can't come up with the other two words to go with it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VT,
      In the baseball caption, one three-letter word is the alliterative nickname of one of the guys. The other three-letter word is a shortened form of a word with twice as many letters.

      LegoTheSecondHalfOfTheGuy'sSurnameIs,LikeInpatjberry'sPuzzle,AOne-NamedFemaleSinger

      Delete
    2. I think that the three-letter word you refer to in the last sentence above MUST be the one I have, because it matches your hint. I'll have to cogitate upon the other three-letter word to which you refer. Thanks

      Delete
    3. I finally found a baseball player whose last name ends in a singer (first one one thinks of), and whose nickname starts with the same letter as his actual first name, but more important, I can form said nickname out of the letters that were left. That leaves a four-letter verb.

      So while I'm not confident about this solution at all, since I do NOT recognize the baseball player in the photo, I am going to call it done.

      Delete
  8. 1) check, check
    2) I glare at you as I sip my noble brew
    3) ?
    4) 4, 8
    5) ???
    6) You sure this isn't #26?
    7) Crack (I'll explain if prompted)
    8) The first time I read this, I saw 'continental' instead of 'congenital'. I got it anyway.
    9) James Joyce (via Allan Sherman)
    10) Yeah, what's-his-name
    11) Cats are so much tidier
    12) Fit for a queen?
    13) hah
    14) You sure this isn't #10?
    15) huh
    16) Well, it wasn't the comic strip
    17) And I thought our long national nightmare was over!
    18) ?
    19) ?
    20) ?
    21) Richard stands
    22-25b) ?????
    26) See #6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2)noble brew = regal lager
      4) 4x8
      7) well, nobody asked, but I had a roommate in college who used to chew his knuckles
      9) Ulysses
      12) I want to ride my bicycle
      13) the earmuff thing again
      15) another way of saying ???
      16) OPUS
      17) Ehrlich man (Erlichman (&Haldeman))
      18) One nation, under God, invisible

      Delete
  9. Paul, no. 5 is quite easy. In fact, it's one of my favorite songs! If you're a true patriot, you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pjb!
      Lost the bumbershoot!
      One of my favorite songs, as well.

      Delete
  10. BTW, how's everybody doing with my puzzle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, pjb, as I posted above (yesterday, 4:16 local time...I never know if this blog adjusts times for wherever readers are, since times mentioned ALWAYS seem to match what posters write, which baffles me), I finally solved yours, thanks to help from your hints.

      Delete
  11. I'm actually surprised you'd get it, VT, since you're more into classical music than pop, but I'm glad. I tried to make it not so challenging since I'm still new to making up puzzles like these. I promise more in the coming weeks. I know Lego likes a few others I've created.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I'm surprised, too, PJB, but it was due to your hint about the holiday that most celebrate (etc), which gave me the second singer. The name of the first one finally hit me due to all the other clues, as the only sensible choice. What I really thought was amazing was the way the one song morphed into the other one, with the addition of the "a' and "v".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know! The two singers have probably never even met, and neither song would remind you of the other, but there's that much of a similarity in their titles, you need only add two letters and rearrange the whole thing. That was my original idea for the puzzle, just that, but then I decided to embellish it a bit more after being told it wasn't that much as it was. That's what I love about the English language. You can rearrange letters and sometimes get interesting results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for a while I had an interesting rearrangement of Polly's favorite song into a name from a recent NPR puzzle plus a name associated with Mary's favorite singer plus a name found in a Beatles song, but I was mistaken. The longest name has two more letters than the shortest, but they each contain a letter that only appears once in the name of the song. Which letter did I erroneously use twice?

      Delete
    2. Paul, you may be making it harder than it has to be. I didn't include any name from a recent NPR puzzle. I'm glad to hear from you again just the same. Where is everybody this week?

      Delete
    3. I had the answer. I tried, unsuccessfully, to expand upon it by rearranging MARGGARITAVILLE into GARR, EVITA, and MAGILL. I couldn't get anything elegant out of MARGARITAVILLE.

      Delete
  14. BTW anybody else out there having trouble with the puzzle should know I still have a few more hints. This may not help, but I can honestly say my younger brother is a huge fan of the male singer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, PJB, it's sad that so few have been posting. (Even Lego himself has said less this week than usual, seems to me.) Clotheslover, who was SUCH a wonderful addition, never returned after Thanksgiving, which worries me, somehow. Where is Word Woman? I miss her too.

      Delete
  15. Kosher dilly-deli:
    The odd man out is “number” with 6 letters; all the others have a prime number of letters, 3, 7, 5, 2, 5. No idea what the words have in common.

    Prime Time Appetizer:
    These numbers are MERSENNE PRIMES. The next two numbers in the series are 83 & 97. 101 is next.

    Ripping off Shortz Slice:
    1. Howdy Dowdy. How I Met Your Mother.
    2. Horatio (Alger, Jr.)
    3. Artery
    4. Plywood
    5. America (A Horse with No Name)
    6. Tempura
    7. Biting your nails
    8. Silver Spoon
    9. The Odyssey
    10. Ian Murray
    11. Out, damned spot
    12. Velocipede
    13. Earmuffs
    14. Ionization
    15. Christopher Isherwood
    16. Opera
    17. Orkin Man
    18. Oregano
    19. Gerry (Marsden)
    20. (Studs) Terkel
    21. Pledges
    22. Fran Tarkington
    23. Roy Tarpley
    24. TBSA Tarrytown
    25. Alley-Oop
    26. Thermal/thermometer

    ReplyDelete
  16. I missed several puzzles completely this week and parts of the long one, as well as the final part of the Morsel. Haven't yet looked at what has been posted above, but will stick mine on here:

    PRESTO MORSEL: AMBIDEXTROUS / IAMB / AMI / ?? AM I


    SING SONG SLICE: Mary's Singer: MADONNA Mary's Song: MATERIAL GIRL Bird: PARROT Word: VIRGIN Polly's Singer: JIMMY BUFFETT Polly's Song: MARGARITAVILLE


    RIPPING OFF SHORTZ SLICE:

    1. HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
    2. HORxxxx
    3. ARTERY
    4. PLYWOOD
    5. INExxxx Inertia?
    6. TEMPURA
    7. BITING YOUR NAILS
    8. SILxxx xxxx Silver? Silent? Silken?
    9. ODYSSEY
    10. IAN TAYLOR
    11. OUT CURSED SPOT
    12. VELOCIPEDE
    13. EARMUFFS
    14. IONIZATION
    15. CHRISTOPHER ISHERWOOD?
    16. OPERA
    17. ORKIN MAN
    18. OREGANO
    19. GERRY (and the Pacemakers)
    20. TERKEL
    21. PLEDGES
    22. TARx Xxxxxxxxx
    23. TAR Xxxxxxx
    24. TARx Xxxxxxxxx
    25a. ALLEY
    25b. -OOP
    26. THERMOMETER

    DESSERT: TRUMP and PALIN: TURNIP LAMP; LIP UMP RANT?; PLUMP TRAIN;

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOPs, I see that I goofed up the last three letters for #5, the' horse'...duh.

    But I clearly mis-understood the three sports ones, thinking that their FIRST names had to begin with "TAR"....another duh.

    And I could have sworn on the Silver Spoon answer, that the puzzle HAD stated only FOUR letters were to be in the second word, because 'Silver Spoon', occurred to me, of course, but I had double-checked that word 2 was supposed to have only FOUR letters, not five. Am I imagining things?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This week’s official answers for the record, Part 1:
    Morsel Menu

    Prest-O Epode Morsel:
    Text is two-stepped
    A word that means to have not two left feet but two right hands
    Is what you’ll need to solve this puzzle’s curious demands.
    First, take its first four letters, place the last before the first
    To form no hand, instead a foot, a base for words well-versed…
    Three-score-less-four such feet two-step across this text-tiled floor.
    Remove the new fourth letter, then the word’s “caboose” restore.
    Insert two spaces near the front to form three words at most
    That sound like they could be a prestidigitator’s boast.

    What is the “two-right-handed” word you began with? What is the “sleight-of-handed” boast you ended with? What “feet” did you use to two-step your way from beginning to end?
    Hint: The final word in the boast has an alternative spelling.

    Answer:
    Ambidextrous;
    “I am dextrous (dexterous).”
    iamb(s)

    Appetizer Menu
    Not Ready For Prime Time Appetizer:
    Kosher dilly-deli
    “New largest prime number is found,” read some headlines this past week. What word does not belong in that sentence? In other words, what word is the “odd man out,” so to speak?
    All six words in the sentence do, however, share a property that involves each word’s final letter. It is not an uncommon property, but tends to become less common the longer the word is. For example, words in this puzzle such as “sentence,” “property,” “become” and “uncommon” do not have the property, while “less,” “not,” “that” and “and” do. “Headlines” and “involves” have the property but “headline” and “involve” do not.
    If we wrote “New biggest prime number is discovered,” all words would share the property except for “biggest.” (And, to be honest, although “largest” is kosher it does rely on an alternative spelling to be so.)
    What is the “odd word out” in our headline? What property do all six words share?

    Answer:
    “Number” is the “odd man out.” It has an even number of letters. All the other words in the headline have an odd number of letters.
    The property that all six words in the headline share is that you can replace their final letter with a different letter to form another word.
    “New largest prime number is found.” >>
    Net largess (largesse) primp numbed it fount


    Prime Time Appetizer:
    Prime cuts

    This number puzzle is inspired by discovery of the new largest prime number. Consider the following sequence of numbers:
    11, 23, 29, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 67, 71, 73, 79,…
    What are the next two numbers in the sequence?

    Answer:
    83, 97
    The sequence consists of prime numbers that do not result in Mersenne primes when used as an exponent of 2 in the formula used in yielding Mersenne prime numbers. For example, 2 to the 11th power minus 1 is not prime, nor is 2 to the 23rd power minus 1, nor is 2 to the 29th power minus 1,… nor is 2 to the 79th power minus 1, nor is 2 to the 83rd power minus 1. But 2 to the 89th power minus 1 is a Mersenne prime number. Thus it is not included in the sequence. But 2 to the 97th power minus 1 is not prime, so it is included.

    Lego…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Kosher Dilly-Deli, "is" has an EVEN number of letters, so NOT "all other words in the headline have an odd number of letters."

      Delete
  20. This week’s official answers for the record, Part 2:
    MENU

    Sing Sing Song Song Slice:
    Mary and Polly were lovers…music lovers
    Mary’s favorite song, which was recorded in the mid-1980s by a female singer with a one-word name, has a two-word title.
    Polly’s favorite song, which was recorded in the late-1970s by a male singer with a more conventional two-word name, has a one-word title.
    “Polly” is the ideal name for a follower and fan of her song’s singer, who is associated with a certain feathered creature that always reminds Polly of the singer. The second letter of the creature’s six letters is an “A”.
    The names of Mary and the singer of her favorite song are connected “spiritually” by a six-letter word that always reminds Polly of the singer. The word begins with a “V”, which is also the first letter in the one-word title of a hit song the singer would record years later.
    Add an “A” and “V” to the title of Mary’s favorite song’s title and rearrange the letters to form Polly’s favorite song’s title.
    What are Mary’s and Polly’s favorite songs and their singers? What are the words that remind the women of the singers?
    Hint: The female singer has been associated with a person much in the news lately.

    Answer:
    I will let patjberry do the honor of revealing the answer to his excellent puzzle. (I see that ViolinTeddy solved it in her 5:18 PM comment.)

    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lego. Mary's word is VIRGIN, and her favorite song is MATERIAL GIRL by MADONNA(1985). Add the A in Polly's word PARROT and the V in VIRGIN and rearrange to get Polly's favorite song MARGARITAVILLE by JIMMY BUFFETT(1977). Madonna is another name for the Virgin Mary, and Polly is perhaps the most common name for a parrot. Fans of Jimmy Buffett are called "Parrotheads". Buffett's birthday is Christmas Day, which he shares with singers Barbara Mandrell and Annie Lennox, as well as actress Sissy Spacek, who played Loretta Lynn in "Coal Miner's Daughter" in 1980. And of course, Monty Python had the infamous "Dead Parrot" sketch, starring Mr. Cleese and Mr. Palin(no relation to Sarah).

      Delete
    2. I almost forgot to mention Madonna's connection with Sean Penn, who has recently interviewed El Chapo. Sean and Madonna were once married. In fact, he actually met her on the set of her video for "Material Girl", in which she imitated Marilyn Monroe doing "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" from the film "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

      Delete
  21. This week’s official answers for the record, Part 3:
    Ripping Off Shortz Slice:
    Two’s company, three’s a party!
    Will Shortz’s Weekend Edition Sunday Puzzle on NPR this week reads:
    Think of a category in three letters in which the last two letters are the first two letters of something in the category. And the thing in the category has seven letters. Both names are common uncapitalized words. What are they?
    An example of such a pair (but not with a three-letter category) is “vegetable: lettuce.”
    Our rip-off puzzle gives you categories (actually some of them are more like simple clues) along with the number of letters in the answers, in {brackets}. In our version of Will Shortz’s puzzle, the last three letters of the category are the first three letters of something in the category. (For example, “Periodical” could yield “California Cattleman Magazine.”
    In the final category/clue (# 26), the last four letters of the category are the first four letters of something in the category.

    1. Television show: {5, 5} or {3, 1, 3, 4, 6}
    2. First name of an author: {7}
    3. Body part: {6}
    4. Home building supply: {7}
    5. “No-Name Equine” trio name: {7}
    6. Japanese menu item: {7}
    7. Bad habit: {6, 4, 5}
    8. Congenital oral utensil: {6, 5}
    9. Example of Greek prosody: {7 (with “The”)}
    10. “Spacey British” politician: {3, 6}
    11. Lady MacBeth’s shout: {3, 6, 4…}
    12. Mode of travel: {10}
    13. Wintertime wear: {8}
    14. Molecular operation: {10}
    15. The “Mortmere Master of English”: {11,9}
    16. Entertainment that originated in Europe: {5}
    17.Welcome guest who encounters unwelcome “guests” (cockroaches or other pests) at an apartment in New York: {5, 3}
    18. Purchase at a spice store: {7}
    19. Liverpool group lead singer {5}
    20. Non-fiction writer: {6}
    21. Sorority or fraternity people: {7}
    22. Football star {4,9}
    23. Basketball star {3,7}
    24. Baseball star {4, 9} or {5, 9}
    25a. Scoring play involving a hoop in basketball (first part of a hyphenated word): {5}
    25b. Scoring play in basketball involving a hoop (second part of a hyphenated word): {3}
    26. Term used in forecasting weather

    Answer:
    ron pretty well aced this challenge (see his 12:00 PM comment).
    I will cut and paste his result, with a slight difference on # 24. (Thanks also for the helpful links, ron.)
    1. Howdy Dowdy. How I Met Your Mother.
    2. Horatio (Alger, Jr.)
    3. Artery
    4. Plywood
    5. America (A Horse with No Name)
    6. Tempura
    7. Biting your nails
    8. Silver Spoon
    9. The Odyssey
    10. Ian Murray
    11. Out, damned spot
    12. Velocipede
    13. Earmuffs
    14. Ionization
    15. Christopher Isherwood
    16. Opera
    17. Orkin Man
    18. Oregano
    19. Gerry (Marsden)
    20. (Studs) Terkel
    21. Pledges
    22. Fran Tarkington
    23. Roy Tarpley
    24. TBSA Tarrytown (My intended answers were Jose and Danny Tartabull)
    25. Alley-Oop
    26. Thermal/thermometer (My intended answer was “thermal.” I didn’t think of thermometer.)

    Dessert Menu

    Newsy Doozy Dessert:
    Clothes capuchin monkey biz
    Take the last names of two people who appeared in the same news story this past week. Rearrange these letters three times to form three different captions for the three images pictured here that do not involve clothed capuchin critters.
    One caption has two words, each with the same odd number of letters. Another caption also has two words with even numbers of letters that differ by 2. A third caption has three words, two with the same odd number of letters and the third with an even number.
    Who are these news makers? What are the three captions?

    Answer:
    (Sarah) PALIN; (Donald) TRUMP
    Captions:
    Plump train
    Turnip lamp
    Lip ump rant

    Lego…

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. Howdy Doody and How I Met Your Mother
    2. Horatio(Alger)
    3. Artery
    4. Plywood
    5. America(A Horse With No Name)
    6. Tempura
    7. Biting your(or one's)nails
    8. Silver spoon
    9. The Odyssey
    10. Ian Murray(I actually found two Ians but I've forgotten the other one's surname)
    11. Out, damned spot!
    12. Velocipede
    13. Earmuffs
    14. Ionization
    15. Christopher Isherwood
    16. Opera
    17. Orkin Man
    18. Oregano
    19. Gerry(of Gerry and the Pacemakers)
    20. (Studs)Terkel
    21. Pledges
    22. Fran Tarkenton
    23. Roy Tarpley
    24. Jose and Danny Tartabull
    25a+b Alley-poop
    26. Thermostat
    PALIN and TRUMP
    Turnip lamp
    Plump train
    Ump lip rant
    pjb "It's my own damn fault..."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oops! Read that as alley-OOP! Autocorrect got to it before I could check it again, damnit!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ambidextrous, iamb, "I am dextrous(dexterous)!"

    ReplyDelete