Thursday, September 3, 2026

“Powderpuff MiddLe-Lineback(Lett)er-shift!”; “Beheading” + “Befooting” Becomes “Big-Brotherly?;” “Name-Tagalong Triple Roulette!”; “Boy Meets Girl”; “Bide my time... I’ll get to Phonics!”; A Two-Couplet-Four-Car Hellbound Quatrain; “Picking-up After a Piggy Neighbor”; Subtract letters, add syllable; “Library-Book ‘Em Danno!”

PUZZLERIA! SLICES: OVER 5πe2 SERVED

Schpuzzle of the Week:

Subtract letters, add syllable

Delete adjacent letters from a novel title. 

The one-syllable-longer result is a name that appears on world maps followed by an adjective describing what is named. 

What are this novel title, name on the map and adjective?

 Appetizer Menu

Bobby’s 33rd Puzzle Fun On His 33rd Birthday Appetizer:

“Powderpuff MiddLe-Lineback(Lett)er-shift!”; “Boy Meets Girl”; Beheading” + “Befooting” Becomes “Big-Brotherly?”
“Name-Tagalong Triple Roulette!”

Note: Break out the bubbly (or beverage of your choice)! Thanks to our great friend Bobby, we at Puzzleria! are observing a “Doubly Signifcant Celebration:

~ The 33rd edition of the ever-popular-and-always-challenging “Puzzle Fun by Bobby Jacobs,” and...

~ Bobby’s 33rd Birthday!

We all wish this talented young man the happiest of birthdays and gifts galore.... In the meantime Bobby has showered us with gifts!... a foursome of his always-fantastically-fun puzzles! Enjoy!

“Powderpuff MiddLe-Lineback(Lett)er-shift!”
1. 🏌🏃Take the name of a famous athlete. Change the first letter of the last name to L. 
Rearrange the letters to get the name of another famous athlete. Who is it?
Boy Meets Girl 
2. Take a 5-letter boy's name.  Move the middle 3 letters 4 places back in the alphabet.  You will get a girl's name. 
What are these two names?

“Beheading” Plus “Befooting” Becomes “Big-Brotherly?”

3.👦Take a 6-letter boy’s name. Remove the first and last letters to get a shortened form of a department of the United States Government. 
What is it?

“Name-Tagalong Triple Roulette!”

4. 📛The name Patrick consists of two nicknames put together (Pat, Rick). 

What are three nicknames such that the first and second nicknames put together are a full first name, the second and third names put together are a first name, and the third and first names put together are a first name?

Here are Links to Bobby’s previous 32 “Puzzle Fun...” appearances on Puzzleria!:

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9   10   11   12  13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20    21   22  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32

MENU

Overdue Hors d’Oeuvre:

“Library-Book ‘Em Danno!”

If there were such a profession as “library policeman” (or “library policewoman”), talking ___ ____ would not be _______! And, _____ would be _____ to those who commit this breach of library etiquette by engaging in such inappropriate, insensitive and disruptive __________!

The word in the third blank echoes the words in the first two blanks. The words in the fourth and fifth blanks are an anagram of the word in the sixth blank.

What are these six missing words?

“Clumpy” Slice:

“Picking-up After a Piggy Neighbor”

Name a two-word term for an ugly clump of garbage in your yard.

Translate the first word into Pig Latin to name a relatively small garbage receptacle.

Translate the second word into Pig Latin to name what your generous and neighborly
next-door neighbor may say to you regarding the removal of the ugly clump of garbage in your backyard 
across the fence from him.

What is this ugly clump of garbage?

What is the relatively small garbage receptacle?

What may the next-door neighbor say?

MENU

Riffing Off Shortz And Bass Slices:

“Bide my time... I’ll get to Phonics!”

Will Shortz’s August 30th NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle challenge, created by Ben Bass of Chicago, Illinois, reads:

Think of a state capital and say it out loud.
Change one vowel sound in it to name something many schoolkids study. What things are these?

Puzzleria!s Riffing Off Shortz And Bass Slices read:

ENTREE #1

Battery Energy Storage Systems face primary risks centered around thermal runaway, where damaged or overheated lithium-ion cells spark hard-to-extinguish fires, release toxic gases like hydrogen fluoride, and carry a potential for delayed reignition. As a result, a number of environmentalists seek to  _ _ _  _ _ _ _.

Transpose the two vowels in the words in the blanks to name a puzzle-maker.

What are the words in the blanks?

Who is the puzzle-maker?

(Note: Entrees #2 through #7 are clever creations created by our friend Nodd, composer of “Nodd ready for prime time” on Puzzleria!)

ENTREE #2

Anagram a state capital to spell a word for something kids may be provided with at school.

What is this state capital? With what may kids be provided?

ENTREE #3

Name a state capital. The name contains two letters that are consecutive in the alphabet, though not in the name. 

Replace those with two other consecutive letters of the alphabet. 

Rearrange to spell a subject kids typically study in school.

ENTREE #4

Think of a state capital that ends in the two-letter abbreviation for a different state.  

Replace the abbreviation with a single letter.

Insert a space somewhere to name what a kid at an exclusive prep school might have.

ENTREE #5

Think of a state capital and move one letter one place earlier in the alphabet. 

Rearrange to spell something that may interfere with kids’ learning in school. 

ENTREE #6

The name of a state capital contains five consecutive letters that can be rearranged to spell a word for something used extensively
for teaching in schools. 

What are the capital and word?

ENTREE #7

Remove one letter from a state capital to spell a subject that may be studied in school, but
usually only in very advanced science classes. 

What are the capital and subject?

(Note: Entree #8 is is the brainchild of our friend Plantsmith, masterful composer of “Garden of Puzzley Delights” on Puzzleria!)

ENTREE #8:

Take a U.S. state name.

Replace its last letter with the postal abbreviation of a second state.

Replace a perfectly symmetrical lowercase letter with an “a”Replace the third letter with a “tittled” letter. The result spells an art form.

What are this state, second state, perfectly symmetrical lowercase letter, “tittled” letter and art form?

ENTREE #9

Think of a state capital and say it aloud. Change one vowel sound in it to name a subject that prospective physicians study as post-graduates.

What is this state capital?

What do prospective physicians study?

Dessert Menu

Befuddlingly Muddled “Blank-Verse” Dessert:

A Two-Couplet-Four-Car Hellbound Quatrain

A poem I composed about clear and clean _ _ _ _

From ethereal heights fell to depths more _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

There, it mingled with me, where its sense I could _ _ _ _ _ _

And render its ending profound as a _ _ _ _ _ _!

Fill in the blanks with whatever words seem to work for you.

The words that seemed to work for me contain
4,7,6 and 6 letters. If you find them, fine...

But I would prefer to see your words. They need not rhyme.

Every Thursday at Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! we publish a new menu of fresh word puzzles, number puzzles, logic puzzles, puzzles of all varieties and flavors. We cater to cravers of scrumptious puzzles!

Our master chef, Grecian gourmet puzzle-creator Lego Lambda, blends and bakes up mysterious (and sometimes questionable) toppings and spices (such as alphabet soup,Mobius bacon strips, diced snake eyes, cubed radishes, “hominym” grits, anagraham crackers, rhyme thyme and sage sprinklings.)

Please post your comments below. Feel free also to post clever and subtle hints that do not give the puzzle answers away. Please wait until after 3 p.m. Eastern Time on Wednesdays to post your answers and explain your hints about the puzzles. We serve up at least one fresh puzzle every Friday.

We invite you to make it a habit to “Meet at Joe’s!” If you enjoy our weekly puzzle party, please tell your friends about Joseph Young’s Puzzleria! Thank you.

60 comments:

  1. Note:
    To place a comment under this QUESTIONS? subheading (immediately below), or under any of the three subheadings below it (HINTS!,PUZZLE RIFFS! and MY PROGRESS SO FAR...), simply left-click on the orange "Reply" to open a dialogue box where you can make a comment. Thank you.
    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. SUNDAY HINTS FOR ENTREES 2-7:
      2. The capital name is also a brand name of something kids are not supposed to have in school.
      3. The capital name is also a bike brand.
      4. The kid might not have one if he or she is on scholarship.
      5. RFK Jr. talks about it a lot.
      6. The five-letter word is also the ending of a world capital.
      7. The subject is subatomic.

      Delete
    2. This Week's Sunday PM Hints:
      Schpuzzle of the Week:
      Subtract letters, add syllable

      The letters to be deleted number two, and they are adjacent.
      Can yarn be twisted into a twinny double-helix twine, DNA style


      APPETIZER:
      (See Bobby's Helpful Hints in his September 6, 2026 at 8:23 AM post.)


      MENU
      Overdue Hors d’Oeuvre:
      “Library-Book ‘Em Danno!”
      Consequences, alas, must be meted out to those library patrons who flout library rules!

      “Clumpy” Slice:
      “Picking-up After a Piggy Neighbor”

      The neighbor is extremely neighborly, wallet-wise!

      Riffing Off Shortz And Bass Slices:
      Will Shortz’s October 11th NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle, created by Ben Bass, reads:
      Puzzleria!s Riffing Off Shortz And Bass Slices read:
      ENTREE #1
      ".... a number of environmentalists seek to OUTLAW Battery Energy Storage Systems!

      (NOTE: See Nodd's hints for his Entree #2 through #7 in his September 6, 2026 at 5:27 PM post.)

      ENTREE #8:
      A few hints for Plantsmith's fine Entree # 8:
      The U.S. state name is also the name of a Trail.
      The postal abbreviation of a second state is a musical syllable (do, re, etc.)
      A perfectly symmetrical lowercase letter might be an "i", "l" "o" "u" "v "w" or '"x"!
      "i" and "j" are tittled letters.

      ENTREE #9:
      A "short vowel sound" in the state capital must be replaced with the "short vowel sound" of a different vowel.

      Dessert Menu
      Befuddlingly Muddled “Blank-Verse” Dessert:
      A Two-Couplet-Four-Car Hellbound Quatrain

      A poem I composed about clear and clean ("PRECIP")
      From ethereal heights fell to depths more (PROSAIC).
      There, it mingled with me, where its sense I could (BAFFLE)
      And render its ending profound as a (SPLASH)!

      LegoLateSundayHinting...

      Delete
    3. Gotta hit Google Account before you start typing anything in. Got the bike brand, can't figure out the subject in #3, got the Dessert, and everything else just confirms anything I've already solved. I was hoping Bobby would say one thing about either athlete in order to get the other, as I clearly suggested, but now we basically know they're both "in their prime", and pi has something to do with it. First of all, just about any athlete you could name currently still active is "in their prime", so that doesn't narrow down a thing. Second, what's pi got to do with any of this? Did some athlete actually have 3.14 as their jersey number? I did get Bobby's #2(the "see the manager" part did it for me!), but that's all of his. BTW We are going to the condo in FL this coming Thursday, so if I can do anything further with these puzzles and do laundry and pack tomorrow night(there'll be nothing on TV anyway), it'll be a miracle if I get any further here. Wednesday night I'll also have to take out the garbage and shower after "Nation's Dumbest", so it will be a miracle to get my answers revealed here(most likely earlier that night). From there, it'll be checking here Thursday night whenever I can once we're there and I've got my devices on their Wi-Fi, and then we have to figure out if we're going to the beach or just using the hot tubs, or even visiting the Lazy River, and pretty much eating out every night until we head for home Sunday. Just giving y'all a heads-up on all that.
      pjbFeelsExhaustedBeforeWeEvenBeginTheTrip(JustDescribingIt!)

      Delete
    4. This is from VT, jus tin case it AGAIN posts itself as ANONYMOUS. (I ran into that problem down in the "My Progress" section. WHERE does one hit "Google Account", though, PJB? It doesn't appear for me when I went to "Reply".Thanks....

      Delete
    5. COpying and pasting, since I accidentally stuck this post down in the wrong section: OH, I only JUST NOW saw the little bitty triangle up above, to the right of "Comment As..." and then the screen re-freshed itself, and then suddenly my "name" showed up. This must be some NEW thing they have pulled, which is a huge pain in the neck.

      Delete
    6. More hints:

      1. This puzzle was on NPR. If you replace the first 2 letters of the first athlete's name with A and C, then you can rearrange the letters into the name of another athlete.

      2. You should solve this puzzle at home, alone.

      3. Remove the first letter of the U.S. Government abbreviation to get an abbreviation that is appropriate this month.

      4. One of the nicknames is short for my real first name.

      Delete
    7. E8. It's easy to mispronounce the name of the state and East Coaster's often do- especially the last syllable. Just ask VT if you don't believe me.

      Delete
    8. 1. The Simone Biles, Lionel Messi puzzle was on NPR on August 24, 2025. Simone Acles is an anagram of Monica Seles.

      2. Kevin is the boy in Home Alone.

      3. Remove the O from OSEP to get SEP, short for September.

      4. In addition to being short for Albert and Bertrand, Bert is also short for Robert, my real name.

      Delete
    9. I never ever knew that Bert was used as a nickname for Robert!

      Delete
    10. Re Plantie's comment above about the mispronunciation of the last syllable of Oregon -- my mother used to drive me CRAZY with how she would, with great emphasis, say "GAN" for our 'gon", which is properly (for some reason) pronounced "GUN".

      Delete
    11. yea. My mom would pronounce Hawaii- Huh-wa-wee. Kind of like how are ya?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Since everyone seems to be having so much trouble posting, this post is rather an 'experiment' to see if it WILL publish itself.

      I am stuck on the following: the SCHPUZZLE; Appetizer #2 (I'm actually amazed to have just solved #1); the second half of the Hors D'O (no matter WHAT good final words I've tried, I cant ever break it down into words 3 and 4); and Entree #5.

      Delete
    2. Egads, my post also went in as ANONYMOUS...it was from VT!

      Delete
    3. OH, I only JUST NOW saw the little bitty triangle up above, to the right of "Comment As..." and then the screen re-freshed itself, and then suddenly my "name" showed up. This must be some NEW thing they have pulled, which is a huge pain in the neck.

      Delete
    4. This is Tortie, in case it shows up as Anonymous. I thought the Schpuzzle and the Hors d'Oeuvre were difficult as well. I only solved the Schpuzzle last night and the rest of the Hors d'Oeuvre today.

      For the Schpuzzle, the book was written by someone with a last name that is the same as the nickname of the politician in Bobby's hint for App #4. For App #2, think of Carpenter or Black for the woman's name. I'm not entirely sure of the Hors d'Oeuvre, but for my answer, the last word is.a synonym of "talking."

      Delete
    5. Thanks so much, Tortie. While I'm not 100% certain, I THINK I got the Schpuzzle, but ONLY because of your hint! Not in a million years otherwise...as I often ask, HOW do you manage to solve things like this, when there are literally THOUSANDS of choices? (Searching for which, I have NO patience, as everyone knows.). Furthermore, I never even HEARD of the "item on the world map" before, so would never have had even a chance of guessing. I have yet, however, to grasp how Lego's hint about twine/DNA applies.

      Now to see if I can make any headway using your App and Hors D'O comments. Thanks.

      Delete
    6. VT, for my Schpuzzle answer, the words aren't obscure. The word with the two letters removed starts with a synonym of 'carpet.'

      I wasn't able to solve the puzzle pre-hint. I don't seem to have the energy or patience for that lately. I wound up anagramming two of the words in Lego's hint to get the author. I think those two words have been used in a puzzle about the author before.

      Delete
    7. Ah, then I do have the correct answer (i.e. same as yours) for yon Schpuzzle. Hurrah. Somehow, I never think that Lego's hints involve anagrams! I need to remember that more.

      I was easily able to get App #2, thanks to your great hint. But that last half of the Hors D'O is just going to go without, because I tried various synonyms of 'talking' with no success. [I myself had been trying various synonyms of 'behavior, with equal lack of luck.] And at this point, I need to go get some sleep, so it being Wed already, noon (my time) will come and go. Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. IF YOU HAVE COMMENTS THAT DO NOT PERTAIN TO ANY OF THE FOUR CATEGORIES ABOVE, YOU MAY WRITE THEM BELOW THIS POST. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is my birthday and I am on Puzzleria! I am 33 and this is my 33rd Puzzleria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I have had bigger gaps between my last few times on Puzzleria is that I wanted to have my 33rd Puzzleria on my 33rd birthday.

      Delete
  6. 😀💗⭐🎂 Happy Birthday, Bobby! Wonderful puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You are good.

      Delete
    2. Guess I'm not the only one having trouble with "Anonymous" and everything lately. I even had to change it again just before commenting here!
      pjbIsAnythingButAnonymous,OnceYouGetToKnowHim

      Delete
  7. Entree 8 is incorrectly attributed to me. It appears it is Plantsmith's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nodd, for that heads-up.
      But, more importantly, my profound apologies to Plantsmith for not giving him due credit for his excellent Entree #8 riff!
      LegoAlasNot"Firing"OnAllCylinders!

      Delete
  8. Hello? Is this thing finally working? I have had the worst time trying to fix whatever the h@#$ has been wrong with this d@#$ thing trying to publish my post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      I, most probably the most Luddy Luddite in the history of Bloggery, have spent a good part of the past two days trying to figure out what I did to block all comments and posts from P!... including my own!
      I think the solution I lucked into involved some kinds of "cookies..." probably not Oreos.
      LegoWhoApologizesToAllForGeneratingThisInconvenience!

      Delete
  9. Sorry, I also seemed to be "Anonymous" for that last one. It's me Cranberry! Now, if we can start over again here, let me just start by saying...
    Mom and I are fine. We ate out with Bryan and Mia Kate earlier this evening at Captain D's, of all places. MK picked it out. Can't remember if we'd ever eaten out there recently, but we had food from there a lot when I was growing up. Much better then, but tonight it was OK. I had the fish and chicken plate, with green beans and mac 'n' cheese, hushpuppies, and a Diet Dr. Pepper(w/ refill); Mom had two lobster rolls, okra, and a Sprite; Bryan had grilled white fish on a bed of rice, with green beans(I think), and water; and Mia Kate had fish, corn on the cob, mac 'n' cheese, hushpuppies, and water. Mom and MK both did not finish their food, and had to take the rest home in boxes to eat tomorrow. MK had the most food at the table, Mom the least. Not much conversation tonight(not much time eating either, really!), but apparently due to his working at his diet and his diabetes medication he's been taking lately, Bryan has lost a little weight. Plus, he and Mom and Leann's husband Ed may be headed back to the condo in FL some time next month, and I may just be coming along! Nothing to keep me here really, no other medical appointments after our dental appointment on the 28th, so I'll probably join them. May even be going this weekend, too! I'll keep y'all posted. Beyond that, Bryan and Mom talked about where certain restaurants used to be around here, and also in Fayette County. MK just kept her ear buds in listening to whatever on her phone. Pretty average Friday night for us.
    Tough puzzles this week, though I did get Entree #1(same wordplay with the same puzzle-maker from a while back), #6(maybe, I have an answer, but not necessarily the answer), #8(Plantsmith's, seemed easier), and #9(the answer is, in fact, what I actually sent in for last week's Sunday Puzzle challenge, and there are only two state capitals I found that both fit the same wordplay, so this was the other one). Bobby, your offerings were quite difficult, but if I can make one necessary suggestion about #1:
    When you provide hints Sunday night, make sure you include some bit of trivia about both athletes, so when I look up one of them, hopefully I can figure out the other one easily(after changing one letter to an L, and rearranging, etc.). Also, Lego, I was only able to figure out the first word in the Slice, which was the first Pig Latin thing I could think of, so when you provide the hint for that one, it has to be only about the second word, which I could not get. Personally, I think the first word can stand alone as something messy that would be in your yard, without being whatever two-word phrase you created. All else will, of course, require hints eventually.
    Good luck in solving to all, and please stay safe, and Happy Birthday to Bobby, and it's also good to hear from his mother Eileen again as well! Cranberry out!
    pjbHopesThisActuallyPublishesThisTime(FingersCrossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy BD Bobby. 33 is a favorite number of mind and I vaguely remember having one myself. As Frank did sing ," When I was 33 it was a very Good year."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hints:

    1. The athletes are #1 and in their prime. Also, pi.

    2. If you want to know the answer to this puzzle, then ask the manager.

    3. The boy's name is the first name of somebody known to everybody on Puzzleria!

    4. One of the names is the first name of a famous scientist. Another name is the first name of a famous logician. The last name is the first name of a famous politician who goes by one of the nicknames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Simone Biles was born on Pi Day, March 14, 1997. Lionel Messi was born on June 24, 1987. 1997 and 1987 are both prime. Simone Biles and Lionel Messi both have the number "one" in their names.

      2. Karen is a lady that wants to speak to the manager.

      3. Joseph Young is the head of Puzzleria!

      4. Albert Einstein is a famous scientist. Bertrand Russell is a famous logician. Randal is the real name of Rand Paul, a famous politician.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Answers:

    1. Simone Biles, Lionel Messi

    2. Kevin, Karen

    3. Joseph, OSEP

    The Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) is part of the Department of Education.

    4. Al, Bert, Rand->Albert, Bertrand, Randal

    ReplyDelete
  14. Schpuzzle: ATLAS SHRUGGED, ATLAS, RUGGED
    App:
    1. SIMONE BILES, LIONEL MESSI
    2. KEVIN, KAREN
    3. JOSEPH, OSEP (Office of Special Education Programs)
    4. ALBERT, BERTRAND, RANDAL
    Hors d’Oeuvre: ALL LOUD, ALLOWED, SCORN, GIVEN, CONVERSING
    Slice: TRASH PILE; ASHTRAY; I’LL PAY
    Entrees:
    1. BAN BESS; BEN BASS
    2. SALEM; MEALS
    3. RALEIGH (replace HI with AB), ALGEBRA
    4. RICHMOND, RICH MOM
    5. AUSTIN, AUTISM
    6. PROVIDENCE, (OVIDE) VIDEO
    7. BOSTON, BOSON
    8. OREGON, MICHIGAN (MI), O, i, ORIGAMI
    9. MADISON, MEDICINE
    Dessert: RAIN, MUNDANE, MUDDLE, PUDDLE

    ReplyDelete
  15. SCHPUZZLE – ATLAS SHRUGGED; ATLAS (MOUNTAINS), RUGGED
    APPETIZERS
    1. SIMONE BILES, LIONEL MESSI
    2. KEVIN, KAREN
    3. JOSEPH, OSEP
    4. AL, BERT, RAND (ALBERT, BERTRAND, RANDAL)
    HORS D’OEUVRE – OUT LOUD, ALLOWED; SCORN, GIVEN, CONVERSING
    SLICE – TRASH PILE, ASHTRAY, “I’LL PAY”
    ENTREES
    1. BAN BESS, BEN BASS
    2. SALEM, MEALS
    3. RALEIGH, ALGEBRA
    4. RICHMOND, RICH MOM
    5. AUSTIN, AUTISM
    6. PROVIDENCE, VIDEO
    7. BOSTON, BOSON
    8. OREGON, ORIGAMI
    9. MADISON, MEDICINE
    DESSERT – RAIN, PROFANE, MUDDLE, PUDDLE

    ReplyDelete
  16. Schpuzzle
    "ATLAS SHRUGGED", ATLAS(mountains in Africa), RUGGED
    Appetizer Menu
    1. SIMONE BILES, LIONEL MESSI
    2. KEVIN, KAREN
    3. JOSEPH, OSEP(Office of Special Education Programs)
    4. ALBERT, BERTRAND, RANDAL
    Menu
    Overdue Hors d'Oeuvre
    ALL LOUD, ALLOWED, SCORN, GIVEN, CONVERSING
    "Clumpy" Slice
    TRASH PILE, ASHTRAY, "I'LL PAY!"
    Entrees
    1. BAN BESS(Battery Energy Storage Systems), BEN BASS
    2. SALEM(OR), MEALS
    3. RALEIGH(NC), ALGEBRA
    4. RICHMOND(VA), RICH MOM(ND is of course the abbreviation of North Dakota.)
    5. AUSTIN(TX), AUTISM
    6. PROVIDRNCE(RI), VIDEO
    7. BOSTON(MA), BOSON
    8. OREGON, ORIGAMI(MI is the abbreviation of Michigan.)
    9. MADISON(WI), MEDICINE
    Befuddlingly Muddled "Blank-Verse" Dessert
    RAIN, MUNDANE, MUDDLE, PUDDLE
    I'll try to remember to do the "Nation's Dumbest" results a little later. After that, the next time I talk to y'all it will be in Ft. Walton Beach. Also, just noticed I forgot to change the thing to Google Account, and now it won't let me do it. Sorry about that, just know it's me Cranberry!-pjb


    ReplyDelete
  17. Just changed it, but now there's nothing more to say. Again, sorry.-pjb

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Nation's Dumbest" Results:
    Anthony Michael Hall finally got to go home tonight. Real come-from-behind victory for him. Too bad he didn't know there are four S's in Mississippi. Mom and I both thought every child learned that in school. Has he never looked at a US map before? Anyway, this just leaves Hilaria Baldwin and Chase Hudson. BTW Funny moment in the show this evening as Hilaria's husband Alec(yes, that Alec Baldwin)sang "Who's the dumbest member of our family?", just as in the promo. Turns out Alec says it's his brother Stephen! Should've known, with as many brothers as he has, he'd throw one of them under the bus like that. Must be an interesting family there. See y'all in FL some time tomorrow evening(though it may just rain the whole time we're there, according to the latest forecast)!
    pjbMustNowGoTakeAShower,OfCourse(There'llBeNoResultsOfThat,JustSoYouKnow!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I got the Wooly Mammoth question right. It's a cute show. Hilaria has an interesting voice. She could probably do voice overs. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
    2. It was hilarious that the mammoth was described as a Dinosaur. But I did not know who Joel Mchale was. As you know his brother Steve Baldwin is the dad of Justin Bieber's wife. What's her name.

      Delete
  19. SCHPUZZLE: ATLAS /SH/RUGGED by Ayn Rand (thanks to Tortie) => ATLAS (Mountains) / RUGGED

    APPETIZERS:

    1. SIMONE BILES => LIONEL MESSI [I can’t believe I actually worked this one out. NO idea what PI has to do with it.]

    2. KEVIN => KAREN [Thanks to Tortie’s hint; had NO idea what Bobby’s hint re “the manager” meant]

    3. JOSEPH => OSEP [Office of Special Ed Programs]

    4. ALBERT, BERTRAND, RANDAL


    HORS D’O: ALL LOUD / ALLOWED; kept trying synonyms of BEHAVIOR like DEPORTMENT and DEMEANOR, that would lead to “DONE” for the fourth word. No luck

    SLICE: TRASH PILE => ASHTRAY; I’LL PAY

    ENTREES:

    1. BAN BESS => BEN BASS

    2. SALEM => MEALS (Pre-hint: This was actually my first guess!)

    3. RALEIGH => replace I and H with A and B => ALGEBRA

    4. RICHMO/ND => RICH MOM

    6. PROVIDENCE => VIDEO [The hint: MONTEVIDEO]

    7. BOSTON => BOSON

    8. OREGON => OREGOMI [Michigan] => ORIGAMI

    9. MADISON => MEDICINE

    DESSERT: RAIN; MUNDANE; MUDDLE; PUDDLE

    ReplyDelete
  20. Puzzleria 9-9-26”
    Schpuzzle:
    App:
    1. Simone Biles, Lionel Messi
    2. Kevin, Karen

    Entrees:
    1. Ban Bess, Ben Bass
    2. Salem, meals
    8. Oregon, Michigan, (MI), O, i, Origami. The second O in Oregon like the O in gone, or the u sound in gun?
    9. Madision, Medicine

    Dessert: Rain, profane, mundane, muddle, puddle.


    ReplyDelete
  21. This week's official answers for the record, part 1:
    Schpuzzle of the Week:
    Subtract letters, add syllable
    Delete adjacent letters from a novel title.
    The one-syllable-longer result is a name that appears on world maps followed by an adjective describing what is named.
    What are this novel title, name on the map and adjective?
    Answer:
    "Atlas Shrugged" (by Ayn Rand); (Mount) Atlas; Rugged


    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This week's official answers for the record, part 2:
    Appetizer Menu
    Bobby’s 33rd “Puzzle Fun” On His 33rd Birthday Appetizer:
    “Powderpuff MiddLe-Lineback(Lett)er-shift!”; “Boy Meets Girl”; Beheading” + “Befooting” Becomes “Big-Brotherly?”

    “Name-Tagalong Triple Roulette!”

    Note: Break out the bubbly (or beverage of your choice)! Thanks to our great friend Bobby, we at Puzzleria! are observing a “Doubly Signifcant Celebration”:
    ~ The 33rd edition of the ever-popular-and-always-challenging “Puzzle Fun by Bobby Jacobs,” and...
    ~ Bobby’s 33rd Birthday!

    “Powderpuff MiddLe-Lineback(Lett)er-shift!”
    1.
    🏌🏃Take the name of a famous athlete. Change the first letter of the last name to L.
    Rearrange the letters to get the name of another famous athlete. Who is it?
    ANSWER:
    Simone Biles, Lionel Messi
    “Boy Meets Girl”
    2.
    ⚤Take a 5-letter boy's name. Move the middle 3 letters 4 places back in the alphabet. You will get a girl's name.
    What are these two names?
    ANSWER:
    Kevin, Karen
    “Beheading” Plus “Befooting” Becomes “Big-Brotherly?”
    3.
    👦Take a 6-letter boy’s name. Remove the first and last letters to get a shortened form of a department of the United States Government.
    What is it?
    ANSWER:
    3. Joseph, OSEP (Office of Special Education Programs. The Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) is part of the Department of Education.)

    “Name-Tagalong Triple Roulette!”
    4.
    📛The name Patrick consists of two nicknames put together (Pat, Rick).
    What are three nicknames such that the first and second nicknames put together are a full first name, the second and third names put together are a first name, and the third and first names put together are a first name?
    ANSWER:
    4. Al, Bert, Rand->Albert, Bertrand, Randal
    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  23. This week's official answers for the record, part 3:

    MENU
    Overdue Hors d’Oeuvre:
    “Library-Book ‘Em Danno!”

    If there were such a profession as “library policeman” (or “library policewoman”),
    talking ___ _____ would not be _______! And, _____ would be _____ to those who commit this breach of library etiquette by engaging in such inappropriate, insensitive and disruptive __________!
    The word in the third blank echoes the words in the first two blanks. The words in the fourth and fifth blanks are an anagram of the word in the sixth blank.
    What are these six missing words?
    Answer:
    OUT LOUD, ALLOWED; SCORN, GIVEN, CONVERSING

    “Clumpy” Slice:
    “Picking-up After a Piggy Neighbor”

    Name a two-word term for an ugly clump of garbage in your yard.
    Translate the first word into Pig Latin to name a relatively small garbage receptacle.
    Translate the second word into Pig Latin to name what your generous and neighborly
    next-door neighbor may say to you regarding the removal of the ugly clump of garbage in your backyard across the fence from him.
    What is this ugly clump of garbage?
    What is the relatively small garbage receptacle?
    What may the next-door neighbor say?
    ANSWER:
    TRASH PILE, ASHTRAY, “I’LL PAY”
    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This week's official answers for the record, part 4:

    MENU
    Riffing Off Shortz And Bass Slices:
    “Bide my time... I’ll get to Phonics!”

    Will Shortz’s August 30th NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle challenge, created by Ben Bass of Chicago, Illinois, reads:
    Think of a state capital and say it out loud. Change one vowel sound in it to name something many schoolkids study. What things are these?

    Puzzleria!s Riffing Off Shortz And Bass Slices read:
    ENTREE #1
    A Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) ban (or moratorium) is gathering steam and gaining momentum nationwide. This BESS Ban would involve local or national restrictions halting the approval, construction, or import of large-scale battery storage facilities and related grid equipment.
    Transpose the words in “Bess Ban,” then transpose the vowels.
    The result is the name of a puzzle-maker. Who is it?
    Answer:
    Ben Bass
    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  25. This week's official answers for the record, part 5:

    (Note: Entrees #2 through #7 are clever creations created by our friend Nodd, composer of “Nodd ready for prime time” on Puzzleria!)
    ENTREE #2
    Anagram a state capital to spell a word for something kids may be provided with at school.
    Answer:
    SALEM => MEALS

    ENTREE #3
    Name a state capital. The name contains two letters that are consecutive in the alphabet, though not in the name. Replace those with two other consecutive letters of the alphabet. Rearrange to spell a subject kids typically study in school.
    Answer:
    RALEIGH, replace HI with AB => ALGEBRA

    ENTREE #4
    Think of a state capital that ends in the two-letter abbreviation for a different state. Replace the abbreviation with a single letter. Insert a space somewhere to name what a kid at an exclusive prep school might have.
    Answer:
    RICHMOND, replace ND with M => RICH MOM

    ENTREE #5
    Think of a state capital and move one letter one place earlier in the alphabet. Rearrange to spell something that may interfere with kids’ learning in school.
    Answer:
    AUSTIN, replace N with M => AUTISM

    ENTREE #6
    The name of a state capital contains five consecutive letters that can be rearranged to spell a word for something used extensively for teaching in schools. What are the capital and word?
    Answer:
    PROVIDENCE, VIDEO

    ENTREE #7
    Remove one letter from a state capital to spell a subject that may be studied in school, but usually only in very advanced science classes. What are the capital and subject?
    Answer:
    BOSTON, BOSON
    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  26. This week's official answers for the record, part 6:

    ENTREE #8

    (Note: Entree #8 is is the brainchild of our friend Nodd, composer of “Garden of Puzzley Delights” on Puzzleria!)
    Take a U.S. state name. Oregon
    Replace its last letter with the postal abbreviation of a second state.
    Replace a perfectly symmetrical lowercase letter with an “a”.
    Replace the third letter with a “tittled” letter.
    The result spells an art form.
    What are this state, second state, perfectly symmetrical lowercase letter, “tittled” letter and art form?
    Answer:
    Oregon; Michigan (MI); o; i; Origami

    ENTREE #9:
    Think of a state capital and say it aloud. Change one vowel sound in it to name a subject that prospective physicians study as post-graduates.
    What is this state capital?
    What do prospective physicians study?
    Answer:
    Madison (Wisconsin); Medicine
    Lego...

    ReplyDelete
  27. This week's official answers for the record, part 7:

    Dessert Menu
    Befuddlingly Muddled “Blank-Verse” Dessert:
    A Two-Couplet-Four-Car Hellbound Quatrain


    A poem I composed about clear and clean ____
    From ethereal heights fell to depths more _______.
    There, it mingled with me, where its sense I could ______
    And render its ending profound as a ______!
    Fill in the blanks with whatever words seem to work for you.
    The words that seemed to work for me contain 4,7,6 and 6 letters. If you find them, fine...
    But I would prefer to see your words. They need not rhyme.
    Answer:
    My words: rain, mundane, muddle, puddle:
    A poem I composed about clear and clean RAIN
    From ethereal heights fell to depths more MUNDANE.
    There, it mingled with me, where its sense I could MUDDLE
    And render its ending profound as a PUDDLE!


    Lego!

    ReplyDelete